User/Program/Menu Cross Reference

ekempter

ekempter

Administrator
User/Program/Menu Cross Reference
Contributed by Doug Belcher

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Attachments

• 14-28621-XRef.ZIP
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,650
Despite being 13 years old, I can still download the zip file.
The central part of this utility is an RPG program that reads the "Library Lists – User" (F0092) file and in conjunction with the "Menu Selections File" (F00821) and "Menu Master" (F0082) file creates the "User's Menu Options" (F55040) file. The records in this file link a User with a Program/Version with a Menu/Selection/Level with a calling Menu/Selection/Level. This is the basic raw data that is not immediately available when using a simple query over the menu files. This program should be run on a periodic, ( once a week) as well as an as-needed (lots of menu changes mid-week) basis. Once the file is refreshed, the queries can be used to extract the information that you need.

Since I found it difficult at best to predict what information I would be needing most frequently, I decided to generate three basic queries. The first is to display the "User Menu Options", in other words every option on every menu that a specific user can access. The second is to display "Menu Access" or what users have access to a specific menu. The last one will display "Program Access" or what users have access to a specific program from what menus. The Queries are wrapped in CL for two reasons, the first is to allow for the selective prompting of parameters to allow the user (analysts, programmers, etc.) to either display or print the output without changing the basic components of the query. The other reason is to be able to test and promote the queries through the different environments without having to change the library for the file used in the queries. The reason to use queries as opposed to WW is the ability to view the output without having to print it.

Installation Information and Instructions

The zip file (Xref.zip) has several files in it, including this ReadMe. The source members can be ftp'ed from your PC based system to the AS/400 and added to the normal files used for your development, i.e. JDESRC in DEVSRC. I've tried to follow the standard JDE naming conventions but you may decide to change it to conform to your system standards

Back