Barcode Scanning

We would like to scan barcodes into numerous screens in JDE. My questions are:
1) Can the information be scanned directly into JDE via a keyboard wedge?

2) If a keyboard wedge is not feasible, does anyone have suggestions for relatively inexpensive software that will allow us to scan into JDE?

OW XE

Using scanners/wedges are no problem. Find what's compatible to your PC or
green screen hardware and you are on your way... It's a great input device
as long as the bar-coded data is in the same format as is required by the
field you are entering. Works well for us in the Inventory master where we
confirm that barcodes on our book covers match ISBN numbers in inventory
before book cover printing is finalized.

AS/400 V4R4 730-2068 JDE B7332 sp11.3

Darrell

MSKIBYAK,
The wedge works fine, we us them to scan codes on insurance claim forms.
Remember it works just as if you were hitting the keypad only faster.
Once you are sitting on the field you scan and poof there are the numbers.
You may have to play with charactersets and other special settings but it is worth it, and the users will love it and you.

*JDE CNC, CMA
AS400@V4R5, Xe SP16.1 XU3/A73 CUME11, CoExist, NT4.0 (SP6a), NT4.0 Citrix, Win2k Citrix XPe
500 mixed clients

Thank both for the information!!!! Is there any way to get the cursor to advance to the next field after a field is filled? I would love to use a 2D barcode for issuing material and other functions.

On my old mainframe we just filled a field with blanks and the cursor skipped to the next field. We could combine several fields into one 2D barcode and eliminate the possibility of scanning data into the wrong field.

Thanks again!

Mike

OW XE

Maybe you can check the setup-options of your scanner. In most cases you can put it up in a way that it sends a tab or enter after scanning a barcode.

Walter.

B7332 / XE / NT4 / SQL 7 / VisualStudio 6 SP5

We use barcode scanners for pick confirmation in JDE. We were able to do it with no software whatsoever and it works very well.

What we did was use Symbol LS4006i scanners (keyboard wedge)which are around $300-400 each. They come with programming books, but we also worked with the people who sold us these to help us program them.

We scan a barcode at pick confirmation and then every time the barcode reader scans a pickslip number it triggers an ALT-I (for FIND) to find the order.

Additionally, we set it up with a second barcode that we attached to the monitor. This took a bit more programming, but by scanning that barcode after verifying the order is correct, it triggers, an ALT-M (form exit) ALT-R (Confirm shown rows) ALT-O (Okay) and ALT-I (Find, which will clear the screen to show them the order was pick-confirmed correctly.)

It allows for them to pick-confirm orders without using the mouse or keyboard at all and works very well, very fast (about 2 seconds)and relatively cheap. The users think that the scanner is working seamlessly with JDE, when in fact all it is doing is automating some keyboard commands.

I recommend that anyone who uses pick confirmations, etc use something like this. It's a huge and easy win for the users. Keep in mind though that it won't account for any order overrides (like selecting new lots) at pick confirmation. Those still have to be done manually.

If anyone would like to hear more, send me an email and I'd be glad to help out.

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Biosciences
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat

Justin,
I would like to know more about your application. We are looking to start a Bar Code project sometime this summer. Receiving and Ship confirm are our target applications.

XE SP17.1 Up2 Win2K SQL2000 CITRIX

Jerry,

I'd be happy to give you more details.

I'll respond to your email privately and we can try to set something up.

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Biosciences
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat

JRev:
Could send me a copy of this information? We would like to begin using barcodes for Receiving, Shipping, and Material Movements. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Skibyak

[email protected]

OW XE

A quick note about volume of input--- The system is very slow if you have the constants set to calculate average cost "on the fly". The work around (and for my money the better overall solution) is to calculate average cost using the batch method.

Rob
Xe 15.1 / Oracle / Sun / Unix

Back