Notification changes

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi Eric, Support

I have noticed today that when somebody replied one of my post then I receive the notification from "[email protected]" or from "[email protected]" instead of "[email protected]" as previously and does not containes the "http://www.JDElist.com" part, so none of my rooting rules applied and it arrives directly into my Inbox instead of my JDEList folder.

It isn't a problem, I just want to ask that is this change temporary or will be remained. In the second case I will change/extend my rules accordingly.

Regards,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Zoltan_Gyimesi on 12/11/01 12:44 PM.</FONT></P>

Originally it was thought that any responses to the "reply to your post" messages should go back to the forum and post. Now I am not so sure because it seems that people really don't pay attention to where their e-mail is going when they hit reply. The sender's assumption is probably that the reply will go to the sender and I wouldn't want the sender to unintentionally reply and then find his/her personal comments on the forum. Any thoughts?

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Hi Eric,

First, thanks for the information.

My thoughts are:

1.) First, if somebody want to send personal comments the do pay attention to the address(es)!

2.) I suppose that mostly that listers turn on this notification features who mostly communicate on the Forum and doesn't turn on to receive all posts from the Forum, so probably they will visit the Forum and will reply there.

My suggestion:

Do send the body text of the reply, just a notification with the name of the replier, the subject of the thread and the name of the Forum. I suppose, it is enough. Do you ask why? If somebody receive the e-mailes from the Forum then she/he will receive the reply too as e-mail soon. If somebody do not turn on to receive the e-mails on the Forum then presumably she/he communicate on the Forum and she/he will have all information to locate her/his post and the reply when she/he visits the Forum after this notification.

On the other hand, I always missed the subject of the thread or the replied post and the name of the Forum up to the present. You know, I am a bit active, so my posts are replied freqently, so I receive this type of notifications frequently, but in most of the cases I can not figure out without these information, which post/issue were replied. For example: "XY replied to your post..., Thanks, I will Try it."/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif

I am curious to your and the other's oppinion too.

Thanks again,

Zoltán

(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Zoltan,

You were asking for opinions here it is :

Like you said I think that the "Reply to your post" should be change.

I think that the "subject" line from the forum should be included in the subject of the email message.

(More to comme in a reply to Eric)

Christian Audet

Implementing B7333 (Xe) SP16.1, SQL
(Support B732, B7331 and B7332)

Eric,

I don't think that "reply to sender" is a good idea, since it will probably eliminate a lot of "NON PERSONNAL" reply from the list. If like you sugested people are not looking at the "reply to" then they will reply "OUT OF THE LIST" and nobody will be able to benifit from the answer.

I also think that for personnal information there is the "private message system" on the forum and most of the people are aware of it presence.

Just want to add a note about reply:

I so strongly recommend to everybody to reply on the forum that sometime I receive "private message" or email from user on the list that are asking for answer or hint that I will just tell them to ask there question on the forum.

SHARE KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE

(Excuse me if this was off topic)

Christian Audet

Excuse me that I answer Christian's maybe(?) off-topic note about reply as:
======================================================================
"I so strongly recommend to everybody to reply on the forum that sometime I receive "private message" or email from user on the list that are asking for answer or hint that I will just tell them to ask there question on the forum.

SHARE KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE
Yes, I am also asked many times about professional issues privately as well in the Private channel of the Forum as on my private e-mail address. I also always encourage these girls and guys to post her/his issue onto the Forum(s). Of course, I didn't omit the help or information in my reply if I have any for her/him /w3timages/icons/blush.gif

On the other hand: what about the "netiquette"?

Would be usefull to include this issue too:
Do not post professional issues privately, post it onto the Forum publicly. This is the main purpose of JDEList Forum.
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif more listener
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif more time zones
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif more expert in more issue/topic/platform etc.
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif very presumably faster help
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif very presumably more help
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif very presumably better and detailed help
/w3timages/icons/smile.gif SHARE KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE (after Christian /w3timages/icons/blush.gif

Excuse me again. Hope, haven't me and Christian started an off-topic sub-thread /w3timages/icons/blush.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

Eric,

I would like to echo Christian's and Zoltan's comments. I have the same experiences and would prefer that all "non-personal" communications take place publicly on the forums.

Thanks,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

The changes that you all suggested have been implemented. The Reply-to address is the mailing list and the subject line is the subject line from the actual post rather than "Reply to your post". thanks for your input!

Eric,

Since this post was reply to me I was able to tested it and I still have a sugestion, can you have the subject and someting to say that this is a reply to your post, Like "Reply to your post : Notification changes"

My point is that with the subject only then I don't see any difference between a normal post on the list and a reply to my post.

Ok is it only me or other user (Larry, Zoltan, etc...) can provide us with there comment.

Christian Audet

*** SHARED KNOWLEDGE = BETTER KNOWLEDGE ***

If I change the subject as you suggest, it will cause threading problems.

Eric,

I'm expecting somebody else sugestion/w3timages/icons/smile.gif, so it's not my idea only, but I think that if it's not possible to have the subject like "Reply to your post : <subject>", then I think it should be back to the old subject "Reply to your post".

But event if you change it back Eric, you should leave the reply to address THE LIST, I realy think that the reply to LIST is better.

Christian Audet/w3timages/icons/smile.gif

Hi Christian,

I was able also today to test the changes (Eric, thank you).
I could see differences not like you.
I have seen "[email protected]" in the "From:" field not somebody's name and it was enough for me, I knew at once that this is a "xy Replied to your post" type message.
I suppose, you can see the From or Sender on the list of posts in all mailing systems.

Further you can create routing rule for this difference in many mailing system.

Zoltán

Zoltan,

I also prefered to have the [email protected] as the reply to. And I think that I can leave with the actual subject line.

Thank for your feedback.

Christian

Back