Change Form Column Headings

jdebill

Hi All,
I have a need to design a form that will require me to change Heading1 for the column1 and heading2 for columns 1,2,3. The "set" of 3 columns will repeat 4 times.
I need to know if anyone has used a BSFN or System function in FDA that will allow me to do what I want. BTW, the dates in the column heading 1 are variable values.

Thank You,
Bill
Windows NT, SQL 7, XE 13.0

Hi Bill,

You can use system function "Set Grid Column Heading" to achieve this. It has 3 inputs:

Grid - FC Grid
Column - GC "column name"
Text - "VA frm_....._DDITEM"

I've used DSC1 as the variable before with good results. To set Heading 1 simply assign this to the variable. To assign both Heading 1 and Heading 2 go into the Expression Manager assignment for the variable, enter the text for heading 1, press enter, and enter heading 2"

I don't think you can set just Heading 2 (leaving the standard heading 1 in place) though from what you've said this should be a problem.

Regards

Neil.

OW B733.2, SP 11.1
Sun Solaris/UNIX

Thanks Neil,
I tried to use the function with some success. The problem that I have is the date value is a variable, I'll explain.
I created 4 variables for this test. Head1 , Lit1, Head2 and Headboth. Head1 I set to todays date(for testing only...will be a value from a record for real). Lit1 I went into Expression Manager and pressed enter, on the next line I put the literal 'D'. then I assigned Head 2 = Lit1.

Then I concatenated Head1 and Head2.

When I look at the values in debug they are:
Head1 = 11/28/01
Lit1 = " D" (shows two boxes in front of the 'D' for the enter)
Head2 = NULL after the assignment of Lit1 to head two.
Headboth = 11/28/01

The column heading = 11/28/01 after I use the Set Grid Column Heading.
I think the special characters representing the enter key (new line) causes the assignment to move nulls instead of the new line and 'D'.

Anyone have an idea? I appreciate all suggestions!

Thank You,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Strike 2!

I've got 3 variables and assigned as follows:

Var1 = Date Today()
Var2 = " " ie the 2 square boxes representing an enter
Var3 = "Bit of text"

I then create my heading:
Var2 = concat (var2, var3)
Var1 = concat (var1, var2)

Set grid column = ...... var1

I've just tried this and get a column headed:

28/11/01
Some Text

Regards

Neil.

OW B733.2, SP 11.1
Sun Solaris/UNIX

Thanks again Neil!

I'll try doing it with a variable containing just the enter characters too. I wonder if it acts any different on Demo Jr? which is where I was "prototyping" it.

Lets hope I don't get strike 3 :)

Thank You,
Bill

Back