JDE Code develop and promotion while Tools Releae in process of upgrade

bluelake

Hi,

We are in JDE 9.2.1 currently and plan to upgrade it to 9.2.4. I understand JDE supports multi foundation. If JDE DV is upgraded to 9.2.4, while PY and PD are still on 9.2.1, can we still create/modify JDE objects in DV and promote them to PY and PD including package build?

Thanks
BlueLake

Yes but ... setting up Multi-Foundation involves more than just a path code. I'm not a CNC but hopefully others here can chime in on this.

DEP server is on 9.2.1 currently. If I am correct, DEP server should be upgraded to 9.2.4 as well.

FWIW, We have a temporary freeze for promoting between tools releases. We install in DV, then PY, then PD, the process takes about 2 weeks. They develop in DV, once PY is at the same tools we allow them to promote to PY. Then finally when PD is upgraded normal development is done. We have never had a true emergency, but if we had one, we would allow a promotion across tools releases. In general it SHOULD be safe, but Oracle isn't very forthcoming about if there are spec changes, so we just don't do it.

Tom

Thank you Tom for your info. It could be very tough to have only two-week window to upgrade all environments and have BA and end users tested all. We may need to modify integration jobs, as we have jobs built on PrintQueue files. However, if I am correct, 9.2.4 will get rid of PrintQueue and save all outputs in database. Thanks.

I've done multiple TR upgrades on MF and promoted projects in between without issue. That said, there is always a risk that changes you make in a newer TR won't work the same or could cause an issue when promoted to the older tools. Be sure to setup MF on the deployment server so that you can build packages for both TR's.

However, if I am correct, 9.2.4 will get rid of PrintQueue and save all outputs in database.

Only if you want it to :) You can still choose to do else.
So yeah, as everybody said, transferring between two TR is up to you, we're doing it since months in one environment and only had problems with TR features so far - duh, makes sense (Orchestrations etc.).
If you have seperate Deployment Servers, only update one of them, if you only have one, go for Multi Foundation for building packages for both TR versions.

thank you DEA and schojo44. I think the way of using MF you mentioned, should be what we need to follow.

Question for schojo44: does it mean we have option to keep using PrintQueue or use database in 9.2.4?

Yes you have an option to keep the old PrintQueue style or shift to the database for storage in 9.2.4.

Yes you have an option to keep the old PrintQueue style or shift to the database for storage in 9.2.4.

Is there an option to choose to shift PrintQueue to database during enterprise server upgrade using Server Manager? If choosing database to store, we should have some tables setup. but I don't find any document about it.

Oracle doc : Doc ID 2242044.1
TR 9.2.1.0 or later

P98617 allows you to configure where the output goes.

Craig

I've done multiple TR upgrades on MF and promoted projects in between without issue. That said, there is always a risk that changes you make in a newer TR won't work the same or could cause an issue when promoted to the older tools. Be sure to setup MF on the deployment server so that you can build packages for both TR's.

DEA, Since you have done project promotion between different Release, I have specific question for you. If DV is on new Release, and PY is on old Release, when you move project from DV to PY, do you use old client or new client?

Back