Reading JDE Debug logs. What tools do you use?

johndanter

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi folks,

What E1 3rd party tools do you use to make sense of an E1 jdedebug.log?

I use LogWb and am trying to use JDETrace but I get a format error

What do you guys use?

Thanks

John

Not third party. Performance Workbench from Oracle is a pretty good tool. As its name implies its really good at helping to track down performance issues. Also, not a log analyzer but Ultraedit. Really good text editor that handles very large files really well, bookmarks, column mode (quickly cut and past side-by-side to see why P4210's F4211FSEditLine call works and mine doesn't) and other features make it a great tool for working with debug logs.

John, can you attach the log file? I'll see why you are getting the format error. Sometimes things change with TR and host type

IMHO JDETrace is useful for seeing the BSFN calls in a hierarchy and having all the SQL (especially for JAS logs where parameters are not in the SQL). The JDECache viewer can be great if you do that sort of stuff. Log truncate, global tables clear, Julian date converter, cache clear. It will also flag gaps between log messages which can indicate a long running statement. Just a bunch of stuff I need to do on a daily basis. I use it with Notepad++ if I need to see the nitty gritty log details (There is an Open As Text option from the Session menu).

It is not made for tracing a 2GB debug log from a UBE. Though, when I get the time …

Craig

Last edited:
Many thanks.

It's 500 KB I think but I can't seem to upload it here. Maybe too big

Last edited:
Thanks John,

I don't have any trouble reading the files. Perhaps download the latest beta version.

Craig

+1 for logwb. After all these years I've yet to find a better one. Minor issues with it's window management though. The way it presents call stack and bsfn variables could be improved, along with side by side log compares.

Just waiting for Mr Welton to find time to write one.... ;-)

Hi John, are you suggesting some updates to JDETrace? It's been a while since I've worked on it. Please pass on some ideas!

thanks
Craig

Happy new year Craig. No, not at all mate. I think it was an issue my end TBH.

I can't think of anything other than a user guide to help us know what we are looking at as it's so good there's too much info :)

Last edited:
Happy New Year to you as well John. Appreciate your thoughts, I need to hire an intern to create documentation :)

My post was actually directed toward jolly (JohnO). Seemed he had some specific issues to address.

thanks
Craig

Hi and HNY Craig and everyone.

On my current project I've been lobotomised and converted to a functional consultant so don't currently have access to a fat client :-\ ... so can't look at jdeTrace right now. When I get it back I'll come back on this thread!

Cheers
JohnO

Back