JDE Server restart sequence

James Monroe

We are on E1 apps 9.0, tools 9.1.4.7

Not a CNC person, but responsible for JDE servers when they need to be rebooted. Changes are being requested that could affect our weekend reboots schedule. Please read on.

Previously, our six JDE servers, JDEDEPLOY (deployment server), JDEENT (Production Enterprise Server), JDEENTD (Non-Prod Enterprise Server), JDEWEB01 (prod web server), JDEWEB02 (prod web server), JDEWEB03D (non-prod web server), are rebooted, in that order at 10 minute intervals. Starting about 5 am Sundays. The DBA teams shuts down the production database at midnight Saturday night and does their online backup. Previously they also did the non-prod database in this window.

Now they have moved the backup of the non-prod database to Sunday evening around 9:15 pm. So i need to restart at least the Non-Prod servers after the non-prod back is finished. So after the Sunday evening non-prod backup, I would think I would just need to reboot the Dev enterprise server JDEENTD and the Dev web server JDEWEB03D.

But do I also need to reboot JDEDEPLOY sunday night, that is my confusion.

Since JDEDEPLOY connects to all environments, would that server need to be restarted also after the non-prod database is shut down, backed up, and restarted?

Or should I do a full restart of all servers, both Sunday morning and Monday morning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi James
You just need Entd restart and then Webd. You dont need to restart Deployment server.

James,
I have issues (possibly irrelevant) with your entire backup/reboot process.

1. JDE Services should be shutdown / stopped BEFORE the Production Database is stopped. Assuming it truly is stopped for a cold backup.

2. Order of Shutdown should be:
- Web servers
- Deployment Server
- Non-PROD Enterprise Server
- PROD Enterprise Server

The reason for this is:
1. Web Servers have dependencies on database, Enterprise Servers, and possibly Deployment Server (if Media Objects stored there)
2. Enterprise Servers are dependent on the database
3. Non-Prod Enterprise Servers typically are not fully independent. System Schemas typically exist only in 1 database instance.
4. While JDE is somewhat resilient to loss of database connection something as long as a cold backup probably leaves your JDE system in a unusable state. The only thing that saves you is rebooting everything again (even though probably done in the wrong sequence).

Regarding your actual question.
In addition to the above that should occur when production database comes down you should do the following when your non-prod database is shutdown:
BEFORE DB shutdown
1. Stop Web Server
2. Stop Enterprise Server
<don't need to stop Deployment server>
AFTER DB Startup
1. Start Enterprise Server
2. Start Web Server

Why on earth are they shutting down the database to do backups?

We are on E1 apps 9.0, tools 9.1.4.7

Not a CNC person, but responsible for JDE servers when they need to be rebooted. Changes are being requested that could affect our weekend reboots schedule. Please read on.

Previously, our six JDE servers, JDEDEPLOY (deployment server), JDEENT (Production Enterprise Server), JDEENTD (Non-Prod Enterprise Server), JDEWEB01 (prod web server), JDEWEB02 (prod web server), JDEWEB03D (non-prod web server), are rebooted, in that order at 10 minute intervals. Starting about 5 am Sundays. The DBA teams shuts down the production database at midnight Saturday night and does their online backup. Previously they also did the non-prod database in this window.

Now they have moved the backup of the non-prod database to Sunday evening around 9:15 pm. So i need to restart at least the Non-Prod servers after the non-prod back is finished. So after the Sunday evening non-prod backup, I would think I would just need to reboot the Dev enterprise server JDEENTD and the Dev web server JDEWEB03D.

But do I also need to reboot JDEDEPLOY sunday night, that is my confusion.

Since JDEDEPLOY connects to all environments, would that server need to be restarted also after the non-prod database is shut down, backed up, and restarted?

Or should I do a full restart of all servers, both Sunday morning and Monday morning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Larry, I did leave out some details in my original notes. We do shutdown services on our Web and Enterprise Servers Saturday evenings around 11 pm, then the reboots occur around 6 am Sunday. The database shutdown/restart happens after that 11pm shutdown of all JDE Services.

One question though. When we do our shutdowns saturday evenings, we stop weblogic services on our web servers, stop the JDE service on the enterprise servers, but we do not actually shut down any services on JDEDEPLOY. What needs to be shutdown on JDEDEPLOY, does the SM console service need to be stopped?

After those services are stopped, we then restart around 6 am Sundays.

You don't really need to restart anything on JDEDEPLOY. It doesn't hurt to restart SM occasionally, but it's not required and can be done anytime really without hurting your environment. The main concern with the deployment server is if your environments are using the server for media object usage. It also doesn't hurt to occasionally backup your jde planner database.

Back