Vertex Q series version 8 - Anyone using it?

JMast

Reputable Poster
Hello All,

There is a regulatory change coming Dec 1 in Colorado that requires all transactions to look like they are in state so Sales tax is collected, not Use tax. We are currently on version 5. Vertex opted to make the necessary change only in version 8 which came out earlier this year. Oracle has not certified version 8 and doesn't have firm plans to do so. In order to use version 5, we need JDE to send the Ship From geocode and Order Acceptance geocode not from Ohio where we are, but as a Colorado geocode. It could be the same as the Ship To geocode or just any geocode from CO.

I opened a SR with Oracle and they have not yet provided a solution. We are hearing that California and, potentially, other states are going to follow this change.

So, it seems like the options are Oracle certifying it, providing a POC/paper fix or we run version 8 uncertified with Oracle Support.

Any thoughts or recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

Jer

I would think Oracle would provide a solution at some point. Having said that our organization has had some tax situations that were not handled correctly by out of the box JDE/Vertex and we modified the tax calculator (mainly X00TAX). If you have someone that knows jde/tax/vertex and a competent JDE/C developer the mods can often be pretty trivial. In out situation we had to do something very similar to what you describe but for us it was based on Order Type (DCTO) which vertex and out of the box JDE configuration didn't really handle.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the reply. We have a little bit of C skills and a little bit of Vertex knowledge. That is to say, we don't have anyone that does C work regularly or in depth and we don't have deep experience working with Vertex business functions. We do understand the architecture and how geocodes work.

My hope was that even if Oracle won't provide a formal POC, I can push for a list of objects/integrations where the geocodes are sent to TDM and we would take a crack at a fix. Should be simple, I think. If ship to geocode is a 21 (whatever CO state code is) set ship from and order acceptance geocodes = shipto geocode

However, your post gave me another option - hire a C and Vertex guru to make a fix for us.

Jer

Last edited:
Well, if you have a little C experience that might be enough. X00TAX is where the vertex calls are made and you might be able to figure out how to change what is passed to vertex w/o too much trouble.

Contact Vertex Consulting or Vertex Support and they can help until the certification is complete and an ESU is available.

Back