JDE E1 "slows down to a crawl" if Internet Service Provider is down

DEddy

On the rare occasion when our Internet Service Provider is down, JDE E1 will still be usable for about 10-15 minutes and then it is so slow that it becomes unusable.

Is there something on the AS/400 or the JDE deployment server that needs to go out over the internet to Oracle? We have not been able to figure out if possibly we have an incorrect setting.

If we have our servers in house, why does it become unresponsive if internet is down?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide on this situation.

Your JDE traffic shouldnt go out elsewhere unless your servers are hosted on WAN or Data center and not on your company premises. Looks more of network or routing issue. Best way is to have your Infra team look into traffic and how they are routed.

Chan

The most likely cause of your issues is on the client side. Other than checking for weird networking (like using an external DNS) you may also want to check the browsers on the client machines. One common issue is anti-virus which will want to contact cloud services to verify pages before allowing them to render.

Do you still have access to DNS? If you are not using the host table, and DNS has issues, you can see this behavior.

Tom

Tom,
We do have access to DNS. All of our servers are on premise. On the IBM i, I have host table entries for the IBM i, the JDE deployment server and our primary DNS server. On the TCP/IP Domain information, I have specified the Host name, the domain name, for parameter HOSTSCHPTY *Local and for Domain Name Server I have the IP address of the primary DNS.

Daneille

I recall that there used to be an entry in jde.ini for a mailserver that was set to jdedwards.com

[JDEMAIL]
Rule1=90|OPT|MAILSERVER=mail.jdedwards.com

It's a longshot but worth a look.

This is from our jde.ini

[JDEMAIL]
Rule1=90|OPT|MAILSERVER=gmsmtp01.oraclecorp.com
Rule2=100|DEFAULT|[email protected]
Rule3=110|DEFAULT|[email protected]
Rule4=120|DEFAULT|[email protected]
Rule5=DEFAULT|[email protected]
Rule6=140|OPT|MERGELOCAL=1
Rule7=150|OPT|UPDATELOCAL=0
mailServer=mail
SMTPPort=25

So is it trying to connect to these servers? Since this is how it comes and we are not using it, could it be commented out?

Thanks,
Daneille

Something is likely using JDEMail and is trying to connect to gmsmtp01.oraclecorp.com

You using BI Publisher with email delivery?

I see you are using WebSphere, it is Java based, is it running in it's own memory pool, with enough memory so there is NO paging?

Tom

Can you be more specific as to what slows down? Are reports slow? Is the JDE app slow (like logging in and launching apps)?

The JDE app slows down if trying to login or launch apps. It may take 15 minutes to get logged in. At that point, the users stop trying since it is unusable.

If that is the case, it is unlikely that your SMTP set up in your INI file is causing the issue. Have you tried turning the JAS logs on when this happens? Check if you can login to a fat client without slowdown. If the fat client is fine and the HTML client is slow, it is probably your DNS.

Here is a suggestion: During scheduled downtime, can you simulate or force an internet outage, so you can troubleshoot this?

The JDE app slows down if trying to login or launch apps. It may take 15 minutes to get logged in. At that point, the users stop trying since it is unusable.

In situations like this it is almost always a client side issue. As I mentioned before, one common cause of JDE web performance issues is antivirus plugins because they do two things. One, they may send every URL to a web service to confirm whether it is on a safe/unsafe list and also they scan all of the javascript that comes down. It is worthwhile launching JDE and logging in with the web console open on a modern browser to see all of the comms that are going on. Then have a look at what happens when you open apps or open the menu. The JDE client is fairly chatty and it is only because modern browsers cache so much that it even works. If you have a browser plugin trying to make sure every network request is safe then you can see issues in performance and if that plugin can't access the internet then good luck because you probably have to wait for each one of those request to either fail or timeout.

In terms of performance, the older the tools, the worse it gets. Trying running 8.96 tools and see the crazy stuff the web client is doing.

Thank you for your replies. We will try to check the ideas suggested. We do have some scheduled downtime next month for a server upgrade. Possibly can do some testing then and will post what we find.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Back