EnterpriseOne Enterprise Server name in Server Manager

jlanawalt

Where does the Server Manager pick up the EnterpriseOne Enterprise Server name from?

I'm comparing different instances, all JDE/E1 9.2 on IBM i Series servers, one, ERP01 shows up as ERP01 in it's related Server Manager and the other, ERP02 shows up as app2.corp.int in it's related Server Manager.

For ERP01 we have these settings:
* System Name: ERP01
* DNS A record ERP01.corp.int points to IP of one interface. No reverse DNS
* DNS A record app1.corp.int points to IP of another interface. No reverse DNS
* (more i Series specific) queue names prefixed with ERP01

For ERP02 we have these settings:
* System Name: ERP02
* No DNS record for ERP02, using i NetServer
* DNS A record othername.corp.int points to IP of one interface. No reverse DNS.
* DNS A record app2.corp.int points to IP of another interface. It does have reverse DNS.

We tested failing over ERP02 to ERP02DR and had trouble with a number of seemingly naming related things including the names and locations of queues, db2 databases, and the 9.2 Site Key so I'm very interested in understanding what settings drive the names chosen. I'm not a system admin, or an i Series system expert (I know Linux systems), but I would like to learn how this all works.

Thank you,
Jacob

To my knowledge, Server Manager gets the server name from the FQDN of the server. If it cannot locate one, it reverts to the host name. Use the CHGTCPDMN command to review the host and domain names (don't change anything unless you know what you are doing!). Your ERP01 server may not have a domain name associated.

The issues you are experiencing with locations of queues, database etc. probably have nothing do to with the name displayed in Server Manager (assuming ERP02 is functional in Production). When you do a DR run, you have to do a bunch of changes to the system tables. At a client I worked with a long time ago, we had a script for this. It was part of the DR run book.

If the SVM Agent on IBM i acts anything like the one on Windows, it will take the first entry from the hosts file (CHGTCPDMN/ADDTCPHTE) that it finds. That's how we "renamed" our Enterprise Sevrers in SVM to come up with their logical name instead of their hostname.

I'll do some more digging and asking and take your input back to the group. Thank you both!

It does use the hostname from the above command. To make things easier, I use the same name for PROD/HA/DR. You also need to have your *LOCAL RDB name match (DSPRDBDIRE)

Tom

Removing the reverse DNS / PTR record from IP addresses associated with the host did allow it to revert to the system name after restarting JDE service and the Server Manager system. Thank you!

For the table name prefix, it may have been coming from a network interface name or something but on our most recent test we found that setting the JDENET Primary Cluster and Hostname Override settings to the primary system name did the trick and allowed our UBEs to run without error. We also made sure WRKRDBDIRE was changed to the right value so EDRSQL would start.

Thank you!

Back