Standard meaning for SHC in UDC 42/FR. Is there one?

J Thomas

J Thomas

I believe the special handling code (SHC) for any UDC is used to tell the AAI's what to do. I am particularly interested in UDC 42/FR. This one controls freight handling codes and the SHC controls whether to created billable freight, payable freight or both.

Does anyone have a "standard" for how these are step up or is every company using these differently?

We are using JDE 9.1.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

[h=4]What is the meaning of the special handling codes used in the Freight Handling Codes UDC table 42/FR?[/h]Answer: Below is a table that describes the rating and routing requirements of each combination of Source of Order and Freight Handling Code Special Handling flag:

SPHD = blank (prepaid)
SPHD = 1 (collect)
SPHD = 2
(prepaid, not billable)

SPHD = 9
(bypass routing/rating)
Outbound Shipments
(SRCO = S, O)

Routing = Y
Billable = Y
Payable = Y
Routing = *
Billable = N
Payable = N
Routing = Y
Billable = N
Payable = Y
Routing = 1
Billable = N
Payable = N
Inbound Shipments
(SRCO = T, P, I)

Routing = N
Billable = N
Payable = N
Routing = Y
Billable = 2
Payable = Y
Routing = N
Billable = N
Payable = N
Routing = 1
Billable = N
Payable = N

* - Outbound collect shipments will be automatically routed unless there is both an override carrier and override mode of transport entered (see question #5 under Routing section for more info on this logic).
1 - Both a carrier and mode of transport must be entered on the order, or automatically populated in the order detail from the transportation preference profile in order to use the BRR freight handling code.
2 - Only credit order-based inbound collect shipments (SRCO = T) can have billable freight charges.
The Source of Order is column SRCO in the Shipment Header table F4215 and indicates how the shipment originated. The Shipment Source field can have the following values:

• S - created from sales order
  • O - manually created outbound shipment
  • T - created from credit order
  • P - created from purchase order
  • I - manually created inbound shipment
Please note that it is not recommended to change the special handling value on the 42/FR UDC table when shipments are still active to process. This is because billable charges can exist for those shipments based on the previous value on the freight handling code. Errors can occur if billable charges exist and the special handling code is changed to a value that no longer calculates billable charges (ex: changing the code from 0 to 1). Possible workarounds would be the following:
1. Cancel or process existing shipments with the current freight handling code through the transportation process (ship confirm, freight update).
2. A new freight handling code could be created to use with the special handling code to be set to a 1.
3. Delete the shipment charges on the existing shipments via SQL after the change in the UDC table. This is not supported by Oracle/JD Edwards.

Back