One View Foundation worth it?

Laetitia

Hello

We will upgrade to JDE 9.2 (we are on B73.3.1)

I am wondering if it worth it to buy the One view foundation licences for all users?
It is hard to understand what we can do with and without.

From what I understand, we have access to wishlist and analytics according to the user roles without additional licences, but if we want to add new wishlist, we need the foundation licence.
But does OV is only for the "Dasboard" and real time graphs?

IF we only want to create new custom reports, for users to run on demand, not in a dashboard, can we do it with the embedded BI Publisher, without OVR?

Any insigth on OVR and its utility will be welcome!

I read the Oracle doc that I found online, but it is not always clear what it implies in a day to day use.

Thank you!

It isn't always very clear so I'll do my best to tell you what I understand.

Your comment about being able to have access to "wishlist and analytics according to the user roles" is probably related to the new UXOne Role-based landing pages. These provide pre-defined Watchlists and KPI's/Graphs which are part of the UXOne solution and downloadable via ESU. My understanding is you are correct, no need for OV Foundation for these.

OV Foundation has always been required for Watchlists that Users will create, and I find these Watchlists to be a very valuable tool in making E1 more usable. So you should consider at least "some" licenses of OV Foundation.

As far as other Reporting, I believe if you license OV Foundation but do not license the OV reporting Packs, you can still program some OV reports yourself. This should probably be verified.

You do not need OV Foundation for BI Publisher or Report Design Aid (RDA) reporting.

Again, I think everything above is accurate, you will want to do your do diligence to confirm.

Thank you for the answer!

So One view is mainly just for the watchlist of the "real time" queries that an user may need in his day to day job?

We can create custom reports in BI publisher that users can run on demand even if they dont have OV foundation. It is just that they cannot be added in their dashboard?

I agree with what jdeEAM said regarding OVR. You do need an OVR license for custom Watchlists. OVR isn't actually used for watchlists but they chose to tie the license for custom watchlists to OVR. I believe it is also correct to say that if you have an OVR Foundation license you can create custom OVR reports against any screen in JDE including standard and custom screens. I am saying "screen" here instead of table since OVR does not read directly from the database but gets it data only from JDE front-end grids.

For BI Publisher you are given a restricted use license as part of the Oracle Technology Foundation which you pay for on a per named user basis. I will caution you to take a look at the license terms for BI Publisher and JDE.

They state:

Restricted Use: Business Intelligence Publisher
1) Shipped BI Publisher reports. Layout changes are allowed, AND
2) Shipped or newly created BI Publisher reports that are modified to
access data from the existing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications
schema that has not been customized.

Full use: Business Intelligence Publisher is required if
any shipped, modified or newly created Business
Intelligence Publisher report:
1) accesses data from a non-JD Edwards
EnterpriseOne Applications data source, or
2) accesses data from a new schema within the JD
Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications that is not
shipped by Oracle, or
3) accesses data from a modified JD Edwards
EnterpriseOne Applications schema (e.g. by adding
columns to an existing table).

I interpret the above to say: you can use BI Publisher under the restricted license against any standard JDE table that you have *not* modified. You may not include any custom tables that you have added to JDE and you may not include any non-JDE data.

I always suggest that JDE customers have their corporate legal department review the terms so that your IT team is not stuck making this judgement on their own. Oracle uses a lot of loose language in the restricted licensing terms that might be interpreted in multiple ways. Though in this case I feel like they have stated the restrictions pretty clearly.

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Talking of licences, do you know how Oracle audits the "primary usage" for the licensing?
We were told that "each licensed user of the following applications is counted only once based on primary usage: Financials, Discrete Manufacturing, Process Manufacturing, Project Costing and Purchasing,that we must specify how many users we are licensing for each application and that primary usage of one of the applications listed above provides the licensed user with the right to use any or all of the other application programs listed above for which we are licensed."

However, if we are buying a manufacturing licence and that at the end it is a procurement user who uses it, how does it is audited? We were not able to get an answer for that.

thank you!

I am hesitant to give an opinion on your license terms because I have not seen that particular style before. There are a lot of deals out there and some licenses are grandfathered from old JDE contracts. Some people still have licenses that refer to heavy and light users with user count being based on concurrency and not named users. Since you list B7331 in your signature I am thinking you might be on an old JDE license. JDE did all kinds of contracts to get customers in those days.

I have not run into one that refers to primary usage of 1 module conveying secondary rights to other modules. I do see a fair number of "Custom Suite" licenses where specific combinations of modules are licensed for use together. A JDE site might have, for instance, two or three user "types" that then fit into these custom suite licenses with users being allocated to custom suite #1, #2 or #3 depending on what they expect to be using. It sounds like your license is similar to a custom suite license. Module list price can be different by a couple/few thousand dollars depending on the module. They tend to range from between $USD 2,500 to $5,000 per named user. Perhaps the primary usage count is the way Oracle is pricing the deal for you. The primary modules are what decides the overall price but they have then allowed you essentially use all modules across all users. That is a big guess on my part so please don't take my word for it.

As for not getting answers from Oracle on how your license will be audited, I am not surprised. I have been frustrated by that many times.

This isn't an answer for your particular question but I highly recommend you read the free whitepapers from https://b-lay.com/?s=JDE. I am not associated with B-Lay and have never used their services but their whitepapers on JDE licensing cover a lot of interesting combinations of usage. Some of them are ex-Oracle License Management Services (LMS) team members and based on that I feel like they understand how Oracle interprets licenses.

Thank you for your answer and for the link for the whitepapers. I had a quick look and it seems interesting. I will read them for sure.

Back