JDE Object Browser 2.0

craig_welton

craig_welton

Legendary Poster
Hi,

We have a beta version of JDE Object Browser available at http://www.patwel.com/downloads

This build was done using Visual Studio 2017, so you will need the Microsoft Redist. Package installed. A link is provided on the download page.

No new functionality other than a couple of bug fixes, but we now support a 64Bit developer client. Choose your required architecture when downloading. (64 Bit requires TR 9.2.3)

This is somewhat of a interim release, as we plan to rebuild the tool from a fresh VS 2017 project. But in order to get x64 support out ASAP, the existing code was upgraded to a 2017 project and tweaked from there.

thanks, and as always, we appreciate any and all feedback.

Craig

Hi Craig

I am using version 1.3.0.98 (I'm on TR 9.1.5.3 over 9.0)

If I open up 2 or 3 different object tabs and look at code and use the search feature in your app, it seems to get stuck and confused if I go and then try and search in another tab.

Is there anyway to have multiple search requests going at all please?
As now, you can only ever search once if you have 4 tabs open. If you close down the initial search and start again, it's pot luck if it works

Thanks

John

Hi John,

The search (CTRL-F) on an HTML form is a built in feature from the MS framework. As you see, it brings up a search dialog above the active window. When you swith to another tab (window) and call on the search, another dialog appears right on top of the other. Try dragging the first dialog to a different location and notice if it's "connected" to the first tab. I'll look to see if I can hook the search dialog and include the object name in the dialog title, but for the most part it's a feature that came for free with the built in MS browser support that displays the OB HTML output.

thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply :)

It appears to only search the contents of the window you spawned it in

What seems to be happening is, whichever tab you search in first seems to 'stick' and fix the CTRL-Fs possible results.
Even if you drag the search window out of the tab (from top right) and try to search in the new tab, the search window persists searching the result contents of the first window...and still works :)

However if I click X and open up a new CTRL F window it works in the second tab.

Thanks John, perhaps try the updated version (2.0). It seems to be working correctly there, so MS may have fixed some stuff in the updated MFC framework.

Craig

Hi Craig,
we just had a very weird behaviour with the 2.0.0.0 BETA 32Bit
Tools Release is 9.2.3.1, App Release is E920 U3 and the Development Clients run Windows 10 Pro x64

For two of my users the usage of the Object Browser was not a problem at all and for two others the tool didn't open successfully and just crashed (see attached WER).
All four accounts get the same permissions to that Development Client (via an AD group) and no single user has more permissions than the other.

I just went back to use 1.x stable version and that works for every user. Maybe you can use this information for something :)

Windows Error Reporting

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: ObjectBrowser.exe
P2: 2.0.0.0
P3: 5c4c5c4c
P4: mfc140u.dll
P5: 14.16.27024.1
P6: 5be33345
P7: c000041d
P8: 001d970f
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA27C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_ObjectBrowser.ex_293c6c7506d5e368631e8919ab155a51a88528_9076df14_24d57138

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: af3e121b-e2ce-49c6-b8c9-0fbb3a145cc4
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

Attachments

• Report.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the feedback. I have noted this behaviour on a Win 10 laptop. Seems like it might have something to do with the VS2017, High-DPI, scaling and tool bar images. I hope to get something figured out soon.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before... your right click Explore option, that goes on to show BSFN calls.....
Is it possible to make one big exploded view of all of this at all? And be able to export it to excel or something?

Reason I ask is, users are calling ND3N4945 and it's throwing an error 017H. I know ND3N4945 isn't throwing that but some downstream nested BSFN. So I look in your ObjectBrowser and it helps me see what calls what, but only if I expand them all manually

I wan't to compare the list I see in your tool to a Find in Files list from C++ on 017H

An Export Expanded Explore would be so useful :)

There is an Explode option. That will explore every object recursively and provide a CSV of all objects referenced. Be prepared to wait a while as many objects reference many others.

Craig

In the case you explain, wouldn't it be better to get a debug log and analyze that? JDETrace could be useful for that.

There is an Explode option. That will explore every object recursively and provide a CSV of all objects referenced. Be prepared to wait a while as many objects reference many others.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Cool! Sorry I missed it. I see it now thanks. Click Explode not Explore :)
I've never used it before, love it, thanks

On the other point, if I had a log, I'd know where it was thrown anyway yeah. I don't have one sadly as it's intermittent

Thanks for the feedback. I have noted this behaviour on a Win 10 laptop. Seems like it might have something to do with the VS2017, High-DPI, scaling and tool bar images. I hope to get something figured out soon.

Craig

A user got back to me and found a solution/problem. Object browser (now 2.0.0.3) only works on Windows 10 scaled to 100%. Once you set it to 125% or above, it crashes. Maybe this is usefule to you :)
2019-08-15 11_46_34-Settings.png

Hi, thanks again for the info. When you can, try the updated beta 2.0.0.5 at http://www.patwel.com/downloads/ObjectBrowser.htm

Craig

Confirmed working! Thank you :)

Found something else though:
When in the local web server and i switch to DV920 e.g. the url gets transformed to dv920http://localhost:8181/?Options=3 and obviously doesn't work anymore.
I know, this is BETA and not urgent at all.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm not able to reproduce that web server issue. Is the pathcode in lower case like you showed? Seems odd. Are you vieiwing an object and then changing the path code? or on the search page?

thanks
Craig

It happens when i open object browser, then open a browser on localhost:8181 and select an environment (nothing is selected in object browser itself - i don't know if that's the way to go).
Untitled.jpg
This is what the screen looks like. If i choose DV920 the url gets borked as stated above (with lowercase dv920). If i go "Back to Search" it works normally.

Start with localhost:8181/obsearch. I'll fix up the handling when it's just
localhost:8181

thanks
Craig

Hi all,

JDE Object Browser has been rebuilt using Visual Studio 2019. Please see the beta downloads at www.patwel.com/downloads version 2.5.0.0. Get the latest MS redist. package (link on the download page)

Updated features:

Support for BSSV objects. If it's not checked out, select the path code. This includes support for the file object repository

Data Browser:
- "Got To Column" drop down. Select the column name and the grid will reposition to it.
- Ctrl-Right click on a column header will move the column to the first position (far left).
- Menu option to move all key columns to the first positions in the grid.

Object Search Pane:
- Right click context menu to work with the selected object.​

Notes:
- Only use the 64bit version if you have a 64bit version of the JDE developer workstation.
- Remove the previous version before installing.
- If the workspace (panes and toolbars) seem misplaced after installing, select "Reset the application pane and toolbar layout when closing Object Browser" from the options dialog and restart.​

Let me know if you have any problems, feedback or ideas.

thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

Install Object Browser on a FAT:
x64
TR 9.2.3.4
Visual Studio 2017
I have the following error:

Connection to JDE Failed. Do you want to quit?

Any recommendation?