Less than vs. not greater than

jhulett

What is the difference between "Less Than" and "Not Greater Than" in WorldWriter selection criteria? It seems like it would be one in the same to me, but we have an old WW that uses "Not Greater Than" in a selection criteria.

"Not Greater Than" seems to imply that it would be equivalent to "Less Than or Equal"...which would be different than "Less Than".

If Condition-X is NOT LESS THAN 4 this would be the same as LESS THAN or EQUAL to 3

Disclaimer: I am not a WorldWriter person...just a programmer.

In your example, wouldn't it be the opposite: NOT LESS THAN 4 would be the same as GREATER THAN or EQUAL to 4? It would seem, in that example, that 4 is the lower limit.

It's almost like excluding vs. including. NOT LESS THAN 4 is excluding numbers smaller than 4, whereas GREATER THAN or EQUAL is including numbers 4 and larger???

I'm not a WorldWriter person either. It's not causing a problem other than inquiring minds wanting to know why the creator of the report chose to use "NOT GREATER THAN" versus "LESS THAN OR EQUAL".

Thanks for the quick reply.

You caught me...LOL

Sorry, I miss-typed my example!! It should have read "greater than" (as you had originally questioned):

-------> If Condition-X is NOT GREATER THAN 4 this would be the same as LESS THAN or EQUAL to 3

Personally, I think its a matter of perspective and its probably why the WorldWriter allows both methods/terminologies.

I used to work with a programmer who always used "false/negative" logic (read: NOT)...it drove me bananas because I grew up learning to program using "true/positive" logic (Pascal).

Am glad the weekend is almost here...LOL

Back