Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JDE Object Browser HTML Server

JDE Object Browser HTML Server

Hi folks,

I started playing around with a concept and wanted to see if anyone finds it interesting/useful/worthwhile ...

The tool already presents JDE objects in HTML format (along with others). They are currently displayed in a browser container inside the MDI application. I'm fooling with adding an HTML server to the tool. This would enable anyone to browse objects from any browser, i.e. without the need for a fat client (other than the one dev workstation that is the server). There would be an object search form to query objects and the results would be links that export the object to HTML and present the results. Thinking about other features like data browsing and function testing as well.

any thoughts?

thanks
    Craig
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.
    http://www.patwel.com
    Home of the FREE JDE Object Browser, JDETrace, NERDup and BusBuild+ Tools

E1 9.0 8.98.4.2 Wintel SQL 2008
    E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

I can see it being of some use - especially for any organization that may have non-dev roles like BAs that want to inspect objects/code. We have had a couple of unfortunate "incidents" with BAs using a full client to view code in the past. Currently I think most developers would want the full application installed locally as they want to see code changes, etc. However, with Oracle's push to the citizen developer (UDOs, Orchestrator, etc.) a web based version of Object Browser would be a nice compliment to the other Web based tools that the citizen developer would be using.
    Brian Oster
    Application Development Manager
    E1: 9.0 (TR9.1.5.1) / 9.2 (TR9.2.2.2)
    JAS/BSSV: Weblogic 12.1.2 / Weblogic 12.2
    ES: Win2008 / Win2016
    DB: MSSQL 2014 / 2016
    WebDev Client: Win7Pro / Win10Pro

Thanks Brian, appreciate the feedback. That's pretty much how I envisioned it being used. Developing the HTML server code has been a cool exercise.

Craig
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.

E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

I would love to have this, as I am very often in a "maintenance mode" where I just need to look at code / objects and don't need to be on the actual workstation. Let me know if you need someone to beta test it for you!

I can't believe I've missed this, sorry Craig.

You must be bored, but this is a fantastic idea! I often try to explain things to fairly techy BAs and some like to go off and sniff around themselves in the PY FAT clients and I've got a few of them to start using your tools.

I often get asked to help compare version POs etc for BAs and use your tools to do that. I often get asked for table layouts etc, and again use your tools.
    If I could just send them a web link and teach them to fish that would be great.

How would it work though, you'd sign on as normal using your web client addresses?

Thanks guys. The idea is to have OB running on a dev client somewhere with the server mode enabled. Point your browser at that machine (with the defined port) and you get an object search form. Find your object and click to get the served HTML object specs. No need to login as you'll be using the connection established by OB when it was started.

It was a while ago and almost complete. I'll have to find some time to brush it off and get it testable.

thanks
    Craig
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.

E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

After much delay, I have this ready for a POC test. If anyone wants to try, download the 32bit version of Object Browser beta (2.0.0.1). You'll need to enable the HTML server in the Options dialog (at the bottom). By default, the port is 8181. Point your browser to http://machinename:8181/obsearch and you should get a search form that should be self explanatory. Selecting an object link should bring up the object specs in HTML. I haven't wired up the internal object links yet, but would just like to get some feedback on the overall idea.

thanks
    Craig
    Last edited by craig_welton; 05-02-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.

E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

Quote Originally Posted by craig_welton View Post
    After much delay, I have this ready for a POC test. If anyone wants to try, download the 32bit version of Object Browser beta (2.0.0.2). You'll need to enable the HTML server in the Options dialog (at the bottom). By default, the port is 8181. Point your browser to http://machinename:8181/obsearch and you should get a search form that should be self explanatory. Selecting an object link should bring up the object specs in HTML. I haven't wired up the internal object links yet, but would just like to get some feedback on the overall idea.

thanks
    Craig
    Hi Craig - i just tested the 2.0.0.2 (since my login works, haha - does this release fix the bug with some users btw?) and fiddled around a bit on the HTML object search. I really like the idea of it and can see a lot less development clients for some of my environments in the future! Works solid so far, well of course functional range is pretty limited, but apart from that - also really fast
    EnterpriseOne 8.12 to 9.2
    AIX, Linux, Windows, IBM i
    Oracle DB, MSSQL, DB2
    WAS, WLS

Appreciate the feedback. I'll keep working to improve the feature.

For the other issue, do you get the error/crash with different users on the same workstation?

thanks
    Craig
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.

E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

Quote Originally Posted by craig_welton View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. I'll keep working to improve the feature.

For the other issue, do you get the error/crash with different users on the same workstation?

thanks
    Craig
    Yes, but that was with the 2.0.0.0 beta and i didn't test the 2.0.0.2 for that yet. I also need one of my developer for that as my user works we can also stick to the other thread for that, or e-mail if you like
    EnterpriseOne 8.12 to 9.2
    AIX, Linux, Windows, IBM i
    Oracle DB, MSSQL, DB2
    WAS, WLS

Thread Information