BI Publisher retrieve image from web service in template for QR code

tatscub

tatscub

Hi there I have an interesting issue I am struggling to resolve and could definitely use some guidance from the community.

I am using BI Publisher desk top and I am trying to take a value from my xml, pass it to a web service and retrieve back an image of a QR code

the URL I am using is the following

https://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-qr-code/?data=123456789abcdef123456789&size=100x100" alt="" title=""

replacing 123456789abcdef123456789 with data from my JDE UBE used to generate a QR code.

if you pop that URL in to a browser you will se it returns a QR code nicely

generating the URL is not a problem but where I am struggling is how I can add code to my template to call the web service using the url generated and display the
QR code image that is passed back.

has any one out there had any luck inserting code in to an rtf template to call a web service using a URL and display the resulting image on the out put ?

if what I am trying to do is not possible I am also investigating encoding my data then using a QR code font to display the data as a QR code .

is there any one out there who has taken this approach and if so can you offer any guidance on encoding text in to QR data

thank you very much in advance for any help support or guidance any one can offer.

hi everybody

after a lot of hunting around I found the solution

in typical Microsoft fashion they have made it a bit more aqward in word 2010 (just to annoy us developers I think).

instead of adding a dummy image to resolve this I needed to
1. click on the developer tab
2.go to legacy tools and select image Active x control
3. right click on the image and select the alternate text tab
4. enter url:{} and inside the {} enter the absolute path to the tag that holds the URL to where my image was stored .

trust Microsoft to make things ten times more difficult :)

Good solution. What about this link for QR code generation? Are there any issues if we use it for our program?
Also it will be great if you can share your template.

Hi ,

I was able to get the QR code , but I tried passing the XML element to the data for the dynamic generation of QR code but it is not showing the value of that element when i scan that QR code instead it shows the same element which i passed to the data. Can you help?

Hi ,

I was able to get the QR code , but I tried passing the XML element to the data for the dynamic generation of QR code but it is not showing the value of that element when i scan that QR code instead it shows the same element which i passed to the data. Can you help?

Hi Sturate,

Were you able to get this issue resolved?

regards,
Puthran

Hi Sturate and Tatscub,

I am also facing the issue of printing QR code image in the Imbedded BI report. Can you please share template and sample XML file. Which helps me a lot.

Thanks in Advance.

Back