Controlling job name of UBE launched from E1 on iseries.

HolderAndrew

Well Known Member
Hi List,

I originally posted this in tech forum - but will open it up for developers - hopefully someone out there will have some information - please!

When launching UBEs from within E1 using the standard api jdeLaunchUBEEx the job name when viewed on the iseries becomes the same name as the UBE program (eg. R47011). If we are launching many different versions (in this case subsystem versions) of the same UBE program then it is impossible when monitoring jobs on iseries (it might be same issue on other platforms as well) to know which version is running. For example the details below show the 7 R47011 subsystem versions that were launched from E1 when viewed from iseries WAJ screen. All we can see is the job name "R47011" repeated 7 times. When drilling down into the details of each job it is still not possible to determine which version is running.

Subsystem/Job User Type CPU % Function Status
FISLEEPERS QSYS SBS .0 DEQW
R42565 JDE BCH .0 PGM-PRINTUBE TIMW
R47011 JDE BCH .0 PGM-PRINTUBE TIMW

We know that if we inquire within E1 we can find the processes running in WSJ screen (this shows the F986110 processing jobs at 'P' status) and with some detective work we can find the process id and link back to the iseries job. But this is not very user friendly. We also have operators monitoring jobs from iseries (with alarms if jobs abend) perspective from support centers. I have looked at the parameters being (potentially) passed to the api and I can see no likely candidate for controlling job name.

One alternative (that we do not want to do) is to launch UBEs using native iseries commands (eg. SBMJOB and RUNUBE) - this would be a last resort as we would like to use native apis if at all possible.

So the question is "Can the actual job name of a UBE launched from within E1 be controlled in any way via the api jdeLaunchUBEEx rather than defaulting to the UBE name. Or is there any other method that can be used to control the underlying job name as viewed from iseries"?

best regards

Andrew

The WSJ screen in E1 or on the 400?

Could you not change the name after the job has run? Just update the F986110? Or via an insert trigger when the record is created?

Last edited:
Hi John,

the job name does not exist in F986110, as I mentioned we can look at F986110 to determine which process id (iseries job number) is linked but this does not help operators monitoring jobs from iseries perspective.

Ok, I must have misunderstood you then.

I thought you meant the F986110.JCFUNFUF2 type field (UBE_VERS_JOB# type thing)

Back