Delimited Text File - # Of Fields Limitation

Andrew2009

Well Known Member
I need to generate a delimited text file of 35 fields. Is that number of fields doable in JDE UBE or is it too many?

Thanks

JDE 9.1

From EnterpriseOne's perspective there is no limit on the number of records that a report can export to a CSV file. However, some applications might not be able to import all rows and columns in the CSV. Microsoft Excel 2003 for example has a limit of 256 columns by 65,536 rows. Excel 2007 and 2010 increased these limits to 16,384 columns by 1,048,576 rows.

How do I increase the number of vertical grid lines? My Grid Alignment is set to 52 now. I have 35 fields so I reached the end of the default vertical grid line already. How do I expand horizontally so I can have more grid line please? I try to use the mouse to drag out the lines but no luck.

Thanks

Just use Database Output from UBE - see it in RDA under Section.
Choose Insert only for Operation, Comma Delimited for Type, give it a name include the path.
Press Next, choose your Source Section, then choose your Source Object - this is choosing what goes into the column of your text file output.
You can choose up to 255.

Run your UBE - a comma delimited file should appear in the path you provided with the name that you gave.
You could add in ER to derive a file name and call the B4700230 - Delete or Copy Flat file business function if it needs to be placed elsewhere with a variable name, for example including the date in the name.

How do I expand horizontally so I can have more grid line please? I try to use the mouse to drag out the lines but no luck.

Thanks

Hi Andrew

What I do is go and drop DD item UDF (100 long) then just add that to the UBEs section.
Drop it over close to the margin limit on the right hand side. The makes the RDA tool automatically create space over on the right for you ;)

Repeat, repeat.

When you are done just delete the UDF variables. Booomb!!!

Also, this is just for CSV alignment in excel etc. If you are creating a text file, the values you are making the string line from don't really need to be on the UBEs output.
Just concat the string as you see fit.

But if you do want to see more fields in a CSV going left to right, try my UDF trick :)

Hi John...I did that already. My question is more about the vertical grid. How do I add more of that into the newly expanded area? I see other reports have those but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks

The vertical grid gets expanded automatically when you drop the DD item or BSVW column to the right end of the existing grid. Drag and drop DD items you need one after other and when the existing grid is exhausted then it automatically gets appended. As it is CSV you can add any number of columns. While printing they automatically gets printed in separate columns when the gird alignment is set as 52*8

Another way to expand the grid is to go to File -> Print Setup. In the Paper box, check the Custom checkbox and change the width size until you get the number of columns you need. As long as you don't need to actually print to paper, you should be able to get what you need for 35 columns.

As others have said, Database Output may be a better choice.

Hi John...I did that already. My question is more about the vertical grid. How do I add more of that into the newly expanded area? I see other reports have those but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks

Ah ok sorry, I get you.

File > Print Setup
Chose JDE Custom
tick custom
change width to say 40...?
click OK

Also change the spacing in RDA Layout > Grid Alignment I use 52 and 8 and add snap to grid

Back