JDE 9.2 Release questions

Govind Srinivasan

As I keep discussing with some of the technical folks, I am told that there is no straight path to upgrade to JDE Release 9.2 from any version prior to 9.0 (apart from Xe) and clients would have to upgrade to JDE 9.0 or 9.1 and then upgrade to JDE 9.2. I also understand that there is a specific migration path from Xe to 9.2 not for other releases. I have some specific questions on these and it would be of great help if it can clarified for a non-techie like me.

a). Does this mean for clients who are in earlier versions have to undergo a two step process - first upgrade to JDE 9.1 and then JDE 9.2 - for me this just means double the effort. Am I correct in my assumption. Does additional time need to be factored in for planning an upgrade from to JDE 9.2 from say 8.9/1.10/8.11
b). Would this would mean additional cost implication for clients planning an upgrade from 8.9/8.10/8.11 since they need to install both 9.1 and 9.2.
c). Does this apply for completely custom objects - can developers boomerang objects directly from 8.9/8.10/8.11 to JDE 9.2

Thanks.

Govind

Beginning with Applications Release 9.2, a Simplified Upgrade is available. Whereas a Traditional Upgrade replaces all JD Edwards EnterpriseOne objects, the Simplified Upgrade process identifies and replaces only specific standard JD Edwards EnterpriseOne objects that have changed between from Applications Release 9.0 Update 2 or Release 9.1 to Applications Release 9.2. The Simplified Upgrade does not support upgrades from releases prior to 9.0 Update 2. If on an earlier release you must upgrade to 9.1 and then to 9.2.

I know that Oracle is touting this "Simplified Upgrade" process as a substantial new feature but in my opinion its a paper tiger.
Any applications / UBEs that are highly used/visible in a JDE installation will be the same ones subject to both Oracle bug fixes/enhancements and user customization.
I just don't see much benefit to it even for plain vanilla installs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That was my exact reaction as well. My guess is we will still have to retrofit 95+% of pristine objects we have modified.

Additionally, most if not all of the code updates we had to make as part of our upgrade to custom objects were due to changes in pristine objects - so nothing changes there.

Last edited:
I have been told that unless an organization is 100% code current a simplified upgrade will result in the "non-modified" objects from your current install (in our caste 9.0.2) that have been unchanged by oracle being moved to the 9.2 environment resulting in your organization not receiving any ESU's that you may not have taken for your current release or release in between. This would seem to be a huge issue and make the simplified upgrade of no value. Does anyone else have insight. We are just starting to plan our ESU and I am not a CNC (just a developer) but thought I would ask. Thanks.

Hi All !!

Thank you for the above information on 9.2. I have custom NERs and BSSV objects developed JDE 8.11 which has to be now migrated to 9.2 tools release.
I have couple of questions on this:

1) Can we directly move the NER and BSSV objects from 8.11 to 9.2 through Boomerang?
2) What changes may be required with respect to NER and BSSV objects?
3) In one of the post on JDEList, I read that JAX-RPC is removed from BSSV, so how does that have impact on BSSV objects moved from 8.11 to 9.2 ?

I would be very thankful for your suggestions and advice on this.

Thanks and regards,

Mahesh P. Bongale

JDE Technical Consultant.
PCB Apps. India Pvt. Ltd.

Last edited:
1) Straight from the horse's mouth: Sure you can ;-)
2) NER's will be re-generated at the next build, but what they call may have changed across releases, so I guess you would have to go through the same process as with everything else, looking for any error messages and troubleshooting them one by one.
3) Sorry, no idea.

Development of JAX-RPC BSSV’s is not supported using Jdev 12c, However we can still Build and Deploy the 11g JAX-RPC BSSVs using JDEV/WLS 12c
BSSV packages can be built on either an E1 development client machine or on the Deployment Server (see respective Certification for more info)
BSSV Supports the building and deploying of JAX-WS & JAX-RPC packages. However Building and Deploying JAX-RPC package with APPS 9.2 Release is NOT supported.
The jde.ini on the E1 Client / Deployment server that is used to build BSSV Packages must be configured correctly. This configuration will change depending on which version of JDeveloper is used, whether the package being built is a JAX-WS , WebSphere JAX-RPC package, or WebLogic JAX-RPC package.

There is no direct upgrade path from the releases 8.9 - 8.11 even using traditional upgrade process. There is no TC schedule for these releases I am told.

The Simplified Upgrade does not support upgrades from releases prior to 9.0 Update 2.

Hi Alex, RSVConsulting and Glen,

Thank you all for your valuable response. I will get back if I need anything more.
@ RSVConsulting, I will talk to the CNC and check with the setup.

Beginning with Tools Release 9.2, two types of Upgrades are available: Traditional Upgrade and Simplified Upgrade.

Traditional Upgrade is the only type of upgrade available in releases prior to Tools Release 9.2. This type of upgrade performs a comprehensive method of updating the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne code set because it replaces the entire set of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne objects. All code objects that have been customized must be retrofitted with these changes.

Simplified Upgrade is a new type of upgrade starting from Tools Release 9.2. Whereas a Traditional Upgrade process replaces all JD Edwards EnterpriseOne objects, the Simplified Upgrade process identifies and replaces only specific standard JD Edwards EnterpriseOne objects that have changed between from EnterpriseOne 9.0 Update 2 or 9.1 applications release levels to EnterpriseOne 9.2 application Release level.
NOTE: Simplified Upgrade path is available only for customers upgrading from EnterpriseOne 9.0 Update 2 and EnterpriseOne 9.1.x applications release levels. The Simplified Upgrade does not support upgrades from releases prior to EnterpriseOne 9.0 Update 2.

ok - this thread is confusing for most people. I'm editing this for clarification.

There are two upgrade processes - the simplified upgrade process and the traditional upgrade process.

The Traditional Upgrade process allows Xe/8.0/8.12/9.0/9.1 to be upgraded to 9.2

The Simplified Upgrade Process is only for 9.0.2 and 9.1 customers

If you're on any version prior to Xe (B733/B7331/B7332) - you need to upgrade to Xe first, and then upgrade to 9.2

If you're on 8.9/8.10/8.11 - you need to upgrade to 9.1 first and then upgrade to 9.2. The "second" upgrade could be a simplified upgrade.

Alternatively, you can do a fresh installation, and use Boomerang to bring over objects and versions in a single-hop process from ANY release. The issue that remains are the table conversions - and the CORRECT "data-only" upgrade process is to perform a two-hop table-conversion from the prior release to 9.2 - though I have discovered that all the table conversions are actually in 9.2 for all releases.

Why did Oracle get rid of 8.9/8.10/8.11 upgrade support ? Those versions have been out of support for a long time, and this was to underline the fact that those customers still on those versions have had plenty of time to upgrade. Oracle doesn't want to indefinitely support the table-conversion objects of many, many releases - so they removed the default plans for 8.9/8.10/8.11 upgrades.

This definitely means that Xe/8.0 and 8.12 will likely be dropped for the next major upgrade that comes along in 3-5 years time. So if you're on ANY version prior to 9.1, you should DEFINITELY be planning your upgrade before it becomes too complicated....

Last edited:
Hello Jon,

Thank you for the bringing clarity on this topic and its much more clear now. I would like to know more on " Alternatively, you can do a fresh installation, and use Boomerang to bring over objects and versions in a single-hop process from ANY release. The issue that remains are the table conversions - and the CORRECT "data-only" upgrade process is to perform a two-hop table-conversion from the prior release to 9.2 - though I have discovered that all the table conversions are actually in 9.2 for all releases."

So in our case where we have to go from JDE World to JDE E1 9.2 release and would like to check if Boomerang is effective way of managing the upgrade or traditional way of JDE World to Xe and then from JDE Xe to JDE 9.2...? Anyone who can share their experiences on this case would be appreciated.

I have also came across the e-guide at (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E61420_01/EOIMG/toc.htm) and as mentioned in the document is it still not possible to do direct migration from JDE World to JDE E1 9.2..?

I hope to get more and more clarity and clear the confusion on this topic.

Thanks ...!

JDEE1JB

Hello Larry,

Hope you are doing good.Can you please help me find documents which i can refer for jde xe to 9.2 upgrade using traditional approach.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

There is an Oracle Doc (745937.1) which spells out all the steps for migration of World to EnterpriseOne. Some versions, like A7.3 with at least cume 9 can migrate directly to E1 9.2. Other versions, like A8.1 and A9.1, there is no direct path. You have to migrate to Xe or E1 9.1 before upgrading to E1 9.2.

Mengesh, there are the standard guides:

E55758 - Upgrade Guide for Windows/SQL Server
E55762 - Upgrade Guide for Windows/Oracle
E55779 - Upgrade Guide for Linux/Oracle
E55864 - Upgrade Guide for iSeries

Back