BIP template for 1099 ESU

cbudoris

Has anybody tested the 2015 ESU for 1099's? This is the first year Oracle has them printing two to a page, and it looks like the bottom one's address isn't lining up correctly when you put it in a windowed envelope. I downloaded the BIP template, and unfortunately there's only one section- its just being called twice, so you can't simply move the address down. We're considering adding some extra lines to the top of the form; that would serve to push all the contents down a bit. But I'm wondering if Oracle may issue a revision to the ESU if this becomes a larger issue for companies that can't modify a BIP template (and SMH that they didn't test for this in the first place).

Adding lines on the top of the form is not helping either. We tried various combinations on the template but the bottom form alignment is not working. We are opening a call with ORACLE to give a solution or at least give a template to print one form per page.

Same thing is happening to me. I tried adding a few lines to the bottom of the template, but that just throws off the margins and throws the printing off for the rest of the document. We also entered a call with Oracle, but they just told us (in essence) to pound salt, saying it was our printer settings

Looks like Oracle is being obstinate in not fixing this, but I've got a feeling that the closer we get to 1/31 (when 1099s need to be out), there's going to be rising pressure on them. I just reopened my SR with them. I suggest others do as well.

Here's their response to this issue, its in a knowledge document: E1: 1099: Alignment Is Off Printing 1099s EnterpriseOne (P04515, R04515, R045152, R045153, R045154) (Doc ID 1922673.1). I think you have to have an Oracle account- sign in at their site and search for that doc ID.

The template is TP045152TRB1, the RD for the blank sheet is RD045152B, and the UBE is R045152.

Adding lines on the top of the form is not helping either. We tried various combinations on the template but the bottom form alignment is not working. We are opening a call with ORACLE to give a solution or at least give a template to print one form per page.
Send me the template and xml. I will give it a shot. "abhichhajer<attherate>gmail.com"

I too would be willing to take a closer look - BUT do NOT send XML data that has REAL and PERSONAL data (make some up) and let us know your version of: software, BI Publisher and what version of Word and add-on you are using.

Is anyone having a problem with the income being recorded on in the state income boxes?

After working couple of days on adjusting BIP template to align to print on a pre printed, i got the first page printed correctly. But when i have multiple vendors and multiple pages, the alignment is moving little bit up/down. which was never okay.

So finally moved to adjust alignment on E1 object - R045152, which does the job as expected.

I know it's late... To get to the bottom of alignment issues, find out how the users are actually printing the output.

Do they just go to Work With Submitted Jobs and print the document without viewing the PDF first? Or do they review the PDF first using a reader and then print from the reader?

Reason that is significant is that the readers have default print settings like Auto-Center, Fit-To-Page, etc. These shift and/or shrink/inflate the PDF output depending on the how much white space there is in the PDF page. Turning off all of these settings and selecting No-Scaling, if the option is available, ensures that the PDF is printed using absolute measurements.

Good Point. In my test with BIP output we removed default printer settings and used actual size printing. But still no luck from 2nd page on-wards, it is moving up/down by some margin.

RTF template gotchas...

I'm probably preaching to the choir here... keep in mind the following:

#1. Margins/Fonts
What you see in MSWord is not what you always get. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate. On the left is a RTF template in MSWord. On the right is the PDF preview. The template setup is as follows:

Margins: 5mm all around. Blue areas in the screenshot.
Headers and Footers: 5mm from the edge for both. The header and footer text are highlighted in orange.
Font: Arial Unicode MS for all. 000, 999, XXX, ZZZ are all 11pt. The large X is 72pt; the medium is 40pt. We use Arial Unicode MS only for all BIP stuff. If there's another freely available Unicode font out there, we would probably adopt it to, for variety's sake.

Compare the RTF to the PDF output. You'll notice that in the RTF, the lines took up more space vertically. When the PDF is generated, the output fitted differently. The 3rd XXX ZZZ pair is right at the top of the 2nd page in the PDF. But in the RTF, it is not.

You probably understand now why Oracle says that we're on our own when it comes to lining up BIP output.

I had a look at the 1099 template. 1st thing I noticed are the margins are inconsistent. Being a document that relies on precise alignments, I would have used something like 5mm all around. 5mm for both header and footer.

Word will complain if you try to set top and bottom margins to zero. But it will let you set them to zero anyway if you ignore the warning. Some printers won't print anything right at the top and bottom edge - which is the reason for the 5mm for both header and footer.

Then there's the tables in the 1099 template. Which brings me to point #2.

#2. Use Fixed Tables as much as you can.
Using tables allows you to peg the layout. But if you're not careful, they will resize. So when defining a table, you should always turn off the Auto-resize option. You have to do this for each table you don't want to shift.

And set up Word to always display table grid lines. That way, you can always see where those tables are in the template.

The tables in the 1099 template don't have the Auto-resize set to off.

Attachments

• 2016-02-26_13-14-53.jpg
    2016-02-26_13-14-53.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Frankly speaking, I haven't faced any problems with the fields in the 1099 tax form as I always fill it on https://1099-misc-form.pdffiller.com/ Yes, I can't say that it's the best tool ever, but still it allows you to fill out everything you need and it looks good.

Back