JDEList Search Functionality and Old Thread/Post Links

peterbruce

peterbruce

Legendary Poster
Eric and the Administrators,

Please, can we have some better search, cross reference and post/thread link functionality:

1) To be able to be search for posts by date, or date range. The current facility only allows finer searches within the last year. If you're searching for something older there is only one option - One Year and older.
2) To be able to search by post number or thread number. Also to display the thread and post numbers (and maybe the ubb post number where applicable) would be an advantage. A cross reference between the old (ubb) post numbers and then new (vb4) post and thread numbers would be excellent as a lot of JDEList members have recorded the (old ubb) post number of posts they use relatively frequently or are a useful reference.
3) In the posts in JDEList, there are a lot of posts that contain links to other JDEList posts. The older (ubb) links no longer work. The (ubb) link contains the old (ubb) post number which could be used if there was a old (ubb) to new (vb4) cross reference to look up. Another option may be to update the links that point to other (old ubb) JDEList posts.

If some or all of the above functionality is available, I have not been able to locate it. If it is, please provide details of how to access and use it. I have searched the FAQ (which seems to be the only help facility available) and have not been able to find anything of use. I have looked at the archive link at the bottom of each JDEList web page, but it does not seem to be of much use.

We hope to have a date range parameter included within Advanced Search by the end of the month. The other feature requests are being investigated. Any cross reference feature would likely require substantial programming.

Hi folks.

I'm pleased to announce that date range has been added to advanced search. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Thanks.

Hello again,

Please be advised that the old ubb links now forward correctly.

Eric,

Thanks again for the date range for searches.

However can the date entry be changed? It would be better to type in the dates or be able to select the year and month from drop down menus. I just did a search for a post that I though was some time after the beginning of 2006. I had to click back approximately 105 months to get to January 2006. In the end, it was a June 2008 post (which would have been 78 months).

Eric,

Nice! Thanks very much. It makes the search a lot easier and quicker.

Howdy Folks,

Looks like JDELIST will be changing forum software again as Vbulletin 4.x is no longer supported. I'm responding to this thread because I would like to get some input from you regarding the need to support UBB redirects and UBB post numbers in search within the new forum software. I would like to think that everyone has updated their favorite links by now ?

Eric

Back