Server Manager / kernel recycling

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
We are on E1 9.0, tools 8.89.42.

We have had an issue in testing a BI Publisher issue, where it will intermittently fail. Restarting the JDE services on our DEV server addresses the issue at least at that moment. We are working on a permanent solution.

However, rather than restarting services, it seems to me that if we could kill the XML publisher kernel that might serve the same purpose. However, in Server Mananger I do not see a way to do that.

I select Process Detail for the server and can find the XML publisher kernel, but there does not seem to be a way to stop it or terminate it. There is a recycling parameter but not way to force it to recycle either.

Anyone have an idea as to how to stop or kill a specific kernel without having to stop/start JDE services for the server as a whole?

Thanks.

Jim,

As far as I know, you can't kill any kernel except CO's from Server Manager. But I only go as far at 8.98.4.4 maybe in a more recent version.

We are IBM i based, and I can get the job number from SM and manually kill the kernel. You can get the process ID to do the same thing for Unix/Windows.

Since you are in DEV I'd suggest you try. I know I've successfully killed other kernels and they restarted. Granted not all of them, but a decent subset.

You may find you can kill it with no repercussions.

Just an idea.

Tom

Thanks for the response Tom.

I'm just getting back to this. I see in the server manager 12 kernel jobs active on our development server. When I remote desktop to that windows server that is our dev box, and bring up task manager, I see 12 'jdenet_k.exe *32' processes. However, there is nothing I can see which of those is the xml kernel I'm looking for. The process id from the server manager is 2944, but nothing in Task Manager for Processes seems to show that number or differentiate any of those processes from another.

The PID does not show in Task Manager by default. Select View from the File/Option/View/Help menu at the top of TM. Then click Select Columns... The first tick box is PID (Process Identifer). Check that to show PIDs in the TM display.

Back