Batch/UBE Performance Win Server 2008

Chris Quinn

For E1, e910, Tools 9.1.2.3, WLS, Oracle 11g Standard 11.2.0.4 DB, all Win 2008 Server for Web, Enterprise and DB, fat client Win 7 we have the following results.

I have a batch process that runs in about one hour locally on a fat client in DV910. When I run the same batch process in JDV910 on the server (Win Server 2008 R2), the same batch process, it takes about 5 hours to complete. Basically, the job is reloading a table with about 190,000 records.

The fat client and enterprise servers are both VMWare VMs.

Has anyone experienced this disparity in processing times between a fat client and server; with Win Server 2008?

Thanks,
Chris Quinn

Looks like a network issue. Check if there is any difference in network speed between the E1 server and the database server vs the E1 fat client and the database server. You can do a quick test by copying a large file to/from the database server.

Also look at the VM hosts. One thing often overlooked with VM is the load on the host. For example, we have 3 hosts supporting several servers. We started seeing performance issues on a JDE webserver and it came down to a new server being added to the same host. The new server didn't take much CPU or memory, but it pulled hard on network periodically due to large upload/download. Once we rearranged VMs on the hosts, the problem disappeared.

JMast,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that the issue may be the VM hosts and the arrangement of the various JDE servers as installed on the hosts. Can you recommend any tools for troubleshooting this - or how did you determine that the performance issue you saw was ultimately network related. I can see my dedicated VM PD batch server CPU (x4) screaming as high as 70%+.

One other comment, my VM DV enterprise server outperforms my PD batch enterprise server. So a 20-hour job in PD might run in 15 hours in DV.

Back