Maximum number of users exceeded

Tom_Davidson

Tom_Davidson

VIP Member
I am getting this message in my JDE log on the JAS server: JASException occured in the JDESignon.isMaxUserExceed():Maximum user limit exceeded OneWorld Error: 222, level: 1 OneWorld Error: 222, level: 1: mError: JASERR

I have the max number of users set to 100, and SM shows I have 100 users attached. But when I look at active sessions I only had about 15 active sessions. I have been watching this for a while and it seems like the number of sessions slowly rises over time. This took 59 days to reach the maximum.

I have looked on MOS and apparently are not searching correctly. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks.

Tom Davidson
Tools 8.98.4.4 OAS. E8.12
AS/400 ES, Windows JAS server 2008R2

Haven't faced this issue but it might be related to Security Kernel not releasing "stale" users i.e. the inactive users are still clinging onto the kernel making the no of users attached to security kernel grow. It does impact the memory but the impact is very less.

Probably there was a fix that was released for this (tools fix)

-Max

Max,

Thanks for the input. But I don't think it has to do with the security kernel, as I am running multiple security kernels. Recycling the JAS instance clears the count, I think it is something in the JAS instance itself.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom

I've seen this before. I think its got something to do with the tools release you're on - 8.98 - although looking at your version - you might be stuck on that tools release.

Alternatively, you COULD jut try updating the SMC and agents to a newer version - recycling the JAS server is resetting the user count, but it might be that the "log out" on the JAS server isn't always dropping the total number of users.

By the way, I would expect that this is due to user behaviour as well. I would put money on the fact your phantom users are either the result of a closure of IE instead of log out - or maybe its a timeout (which would be modifiable through your timeout settings). Its not for every user, since no doubt you'd see this a lot faster than 57 days.

Lastly, you COULD just reset your JAS instances once per week !!!!

To add to Jon's point about users closing out the browser rather than using the "log out" option , check your JAS.INI and check for the LogOutOnBrowserClose parameter , it is true by default though and I have verified that it does work. I am looking at a system on a 9.1 tools release though, but I believe this setting is there in 8.98 also

Jon & Ice,

I too think it is probably due to user behavior, and closing the browser, we do have log out on browser close set to true, but I suspect that it isn't executed when the user issues 'shutdown' I've tried it on my PC but haven't been able to duplicate it, but with the different OS's and browsers out there, I'm not necessarily shocked that I can't.

I could go to 8.98.4.11, and am thinking of doing so, hoping that this will solve the issue. I didn't have it in 8.98.4.2

Thanks for the input.

Tom
Thanks for the input.

Session Time out settings

If you refer E1: JAS: Best Practices on Setting User Session Timeout Value for HTML Server ( JAS ) Instance Configured on Any Application Server (Doc ID 1488013.1)

I. Application Server Timeout

For WLS, the application server timeout values are directly updated in web.xml(s) file.

Locate the two web.xml files for the Weblogic installation as given below:

.web.xml in the Server Manager Agent installation directory where JAS instance is configured:

......targets/<webinstance name>/owl_deployment/webclient.ear/app/webclient.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

.web.xml in the Weblogic installation directory:

......user_projects/domains/.../servers/machine name/stage/<webinstance name>/app/webclient.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

Make a backup of the above two web.xml files. Add the following stanza at the end (right before </web-app>) of both these web.xml files:

<session-config>
<session-timeout>9</session-timeout>
</session-config>

NOTE: The time values defined in web.xml file is measured in minutes.

Restart the JAS instance once.

II. Update the UserSession value in the relevant JAS.INI

Use Server Manager Console to update the parameter UserSession in the JAS.INI file:

Login to Server Manager Console.
Navigate to the Managed Instance page for the HTML server.
Change the View to "Advanced" under Configuration pane.
Select Cache and update the parameter "User Session Cache Timeout" to desired value. The User Session Cache Timeout value will need to be entered as milliseconds (e.g. 1800000 for 30 minutes, 3600000 for 1 hour) - 600000.

E1: JAS: Best Practices on Setting User Session Timeout Value for HTML Server ( JAS ) Instance Configured on Any Application Server (Doc ID 1488013.1)

Found this:
The reason we got this error is a bug in Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7. The kernel leaks loopback sockets due to a race condition on machines with more than one core, this patch fixes the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2577795

URL is:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10088363/java-net-socketexception-no-buffer-space-available-maximum-connections-reached

Back