WebLogic 12.1.2

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Anyone else upgraded their HTML servers from 10.3.x to 12.1.2 with the new 9.1.4.x tools release? I recently upgraded our test instance to 9.1.4.1 and then proceeded to upgrade the WebLogic instance from 10.3.5 to 12.1.2. The WebLogic "upgrade" process completed and all looks good from that side. My E1_Apps domain was reconfigured correctly and now shows in 12.1.2. The issue is in Server Manager now. My managed instance in server manager still shows as 10.3.5. If I try to add a new 12.1.2 Oracle instance, it shows no domain to be configured. Trying to determine what needs to be done on the server manager side to get it to recognize 12.1.2.

Have installed WLS 12c on Linux and have registered with Tools 9.1.4.1. Didn't run into the issue, but it was not an upgrade, rather a new instance of WLS.

Charles,

Yes a new instance will work just fine. I have the option to add a new Oracle 12g instance. The problem is on an upgrade. I have opened a ticket with Oracle and it has been moved to have a developer look at it, so it looks like an upgrade issue.

According to Oracle you can indeed upgrade a WebLogic domain from 10.3.x to 12.1.2 but E1 Server Manager does NOT support an upgrade. The only way to have an Oracle WebLogic 12.1.2 E1 web server is to create it new. I am attempting to hack the server manager files around this but to no avail so far. If anyone else is able to upgrade successfully please let us know.

Here is the exact response from Oracle -

The developer says that there is no supported path for upgrading a JAS server
running on WebLogic Server 11g (10.3.5 or 10.3.6) to WebLogic Server 12c.
Such an upgrade path for JAS is not supported because development has never
tested and certified such an upgrade path for JAS.

The developer says that at some point you need to get on a supported
configuration for JAS. According to the developer, that means do the
following steps.

1. Install a new Server Manager agent to manage WebLogic Server 12c.
(You are not suppose to use the old agent for WebLogic Server 11g to
manage WebLogic Server 12c.)

2. Install a new set of JAS servers using the new Server Manager agent that
manages WebLogic Server 12c.

3. Eventually discard the old JAS servers and old Server Manager agent that
are using WebLogic 11g (10.3.5 or 10.3.6).

Also, I created knowledge document 1620352.1 to inform customers of this.
And I have attached a copy of the knowledge document for your reference.

Back