Deploying Data Dictionary Changes

salowist

We are running E1 App 9.1/Tools 9.1 and I need to update the data dictionary to rename some category codes in the job maintenance (F0006) module. I have updated the specs on the client workstations using P92001 and have attempted to push the changes into production by ending services on the enterprise server, deleting the dd table specs, and restarting but this did not work. Can anyone assist?

Steve,

I assume you cleared cache or recycle the web servers also?

Regardless changing labels in the DD doesn't always change the field labels in a application because the application may have OVERRIDES to those fields. If that's the case you'll need to edit the application form, promote, and package build/deploy.

Don't forget to truncate the F989998 and F989999 tables as well as delete all the GLBLTBL and DDDICT and DDTEXT files under the application servers' SPEC directory. You need to do this with all services down and then restart everything.

When renaming DD descriptions you also have to regenerate the applications that use those DD items in order for them to pick up the changes. Clearing the F989998 and F989999 tables as Jon suggested would force that to happen but would force it for all applications.

I made it a standard procedure to assemble, build, and deploy a full pack, including app & html servers reboots, for any DD addition/change.

[ QUOTE ]
I made it a standard procedure to assemble, build, and deploy a full pack, including app & html servers reboots, for any DD addition/change.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good policy - since that would ensure everything is "built from scratch". Data Dictionary _changes_ should be very, very rare in a production environment - Data Dictionary _additions_ don't need any package change at all (it should JITI everywhere !) except, of course, for the table specifications !!!

Jon,
I just followed your _pretty_old_recomendations - when was that ... seven, or maybe ten years ago ...
blush.gif

Thank you,

Hi Altquark,

I have similar issue but the changes i can see on FAT windows machine but not local web or Server web? Can you please help me out!!!!!!

You have to delete the following specification files from the specification folder (C:\E812\PD812\SPEC\)

dddict.ddb
dddict.xdb
ddtext.ddb
ddtext.xdb
glbltbl.ddb
glbltbl.xdb

If it is only on web, also try to clear browser cache.

Back