Tools Release 9.1.4.1 and Happy New Year

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
I see on Oracle's JDE Update Center that TR 9.1.4.1 was released on 12/17/2013. Has anyone heard much about this TR? It's probably one of the quietest TR releases that I can remember.

Also, Happy New Year to everyone on JDEList!

Never a good sign.

9.1.4.0 was released and almost immediately followed up by 9.1.4.1 ! I guess there were some pretty serious issues with the base tools release.

However, its awesome that JDE have continued their promise of regularly releasing tools releases - not sure what is in 9.1.4 yet - but I strongly recommend to "watch" these boards as other customers install, I personally wouldn't jump onto it until 9.1.4.2 or 9.1.4.3...

Jon,
JDE has always released the .1 within a week or so of the .0 to my recollection.

Jon,

I was a tools beta tester for tools 9.1 a year or so ago. The .1 release is based on the findings of the beta testers.

It was an interesting experience. Oracle is very involved and appreciative. Whenever we found an issue, they got back to us very quickly with a "proof of concept" fix. All of the POC fixes were rolled into the .1 release rolled out to the public.

- Gregg

well, thats good to know - I guess I didn't follow the 9.1.3.0 to 9.1.3.1 release that closely ! But I think its still a good practice that a customer shouldn't implement a tools release until the 3rd release - ie, a 9.1.4.2 release - given the following information :

1. The code set feeding into the .0 release is not tested by end-users and is very, very limited testing as part of Oracles QA process
2. The code set feeding into the .1 release (.0) is tested by a limited number of end-users, none of which are in production, and therefore on a limited platform set. It is likely that complex implementations are not tested through this codeset
3. The code set feeding into the .2 release (.1) is usually tested by pre-production implementations
4. The code set feeding into the .3 release (.2) usually has some production implementations

Therefore, if you're pre-production, feel free to implement the .1 release - but if you're a production customer, have a good rollback plan if you implement .2 - but its a safer bet to implement the .3

I am glad that Oracle is compressing the time for releases to come out to the public - but remember, you're running a financial system ! Not good to be a customer right on the cutting edge unless you have excellent internal support !

I just downloaded 9.1.4.2 and started looking at some of the new features. One that caught my attention was the new capability with Cafe One to create a screen layout of several different forms, and have them relate to each other with key mapped fields. Envision one panel being Address Book main screen, another panel the AB Revisions, another the Who's Who or Phones. The best part of this is that it's configuration, not programming (as we've known it).

Back