Calling JDE API from PHP based web application

radi8

Well Known Member
I am building a web application for our sales guys and need to access some JDE business function. What is the best way to do this? I have been looking at the BSSV and also the Everest EveREST2JDE solution.

From your perspective and experience, what is the best way to accomplish this?

BSSV is probably the preferred way provided you have the infrastructure on the JDE side of things. I.e. you have a BSSV server.

You may want to look at the interoperability guide for other solutions like XML Call Object. We have built quite a few non-JDE applications that interface with JDE via XML Call Object.

Currently, we do not have a BSSV but that can be resolved pretty quickly.

Basically, I need to access the JDE Advanced Pricing API's. Just starting this project so any help and advise is appreciated.

If its a brand new project I would suggest going with BSSV. The reason is that Oracle is implementing/exposing numerous key business process via the BSSV methodology. so you could use their BSSV's out of the box. That also gives you future proofing of your solution since Oracle will continue support it in the for-see-able future. Also, there seems to be tremendous support (both Oracle and non-oracle) along with a lot more people gaining/sharing knowledge on the subject. This community knowledge/support usually helps when you get stuck in your solution.

I would suggest looking at XML Call Object. It is pretty straight forward and allows you to call any BSFN in JDE. If you use BSSV and the BSFN you want to call doesn't have a BSSV wrapper then you will have to do some BSSV development.

BSSV may be the "future", but I don't think XML Call Object is going any where any time soon. There are several Oracle Partners that have built commercial products using XML Call Object as an interop solution.

As I stated, we have built several solutions using XML Call Object including our highest transaction volume system (Point of Sale). We have used it for years and it has worked very well for us.

Outstanding. I appreciate all of your help.

I am currently searching the Oracle KM for information on the XML Call Object API Structures, but if anyone has a generic code sample showing the basic usage, I can go from there.

<EDIT>
Do I need a BSSV for the XML Call Object functionality? The JDE Interoperability guide seems to indicate that it is needed.
</EDIT>
Thanks to all for the information.

BSSV is not needed for XML Call Object. You may need to make a couple of small config changes (jde.ini I believe) on your Enterprise server if it is not all ready configured to accept XML Call Object calls. One of the down sides to XML Call Object is that it is not as light weight as BSSV in that you will need some JDE libs on the client side (and by client I mean the application making the XML calls - in your case, your web server). Our applications are Java based so that is what I am familiar with. I believe there are about nine jar files that we have to have on our Java App/Web server. It is also possible for non Java based applications to make use of XML Call Object and someone else can probably tell you exactly which JDE binaries you will need.

I agree with BOster.

BSSV is wonderful for many things, but if you have a small internal application that needs to call a known interface in JDE, then XMLCallObject is very simple, requires next to no setup and minimal development, whereas BSSV requires much setup, infrastructure, and developing even a generic BSSV wrapper of a JDE BSFN is quite labour intensive (disclaimer: I've only done this a couple of times in training and the tools may have improved since then).

Back