E1 Archiving project

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
All, We are internally discussing the archiving project and was wondering if any one has ever compared different archiving tools to see pros and cons of these tools. Also If any one can share their Archving exp. Things have changes since I did it 9 years ago. I am looking at following tools ,not sure if there are others available.
IBM Optim
Arctools
Purge-IT

Any tips/suggestion will be appreciated.

Jaise,

When we looked at this a few years ago we found that arctools was good but is database based and is a more generic archiving tool with configuration etc for JDE. However it was out of our price range on the cost/benefit analysis. I can't remember much about IBM optim, but I think it was similar to arctools in that it was generic with configuration for JDE and was out of our price range. We went for purge-it. It is JDE specific and was built with the JDE tools. It was also cheaper.

We also went with Purge-IT after comparing things. Have been happy with it so far

We have also gone with Purge-it. The following were the reasons:
1) Cost
2) Fully integerated withing JDE
3) Facility to reverse an archived job
4) Facility to enquire on archived data
5) Easy installation - just like an ESU

I’m not familiar with the other products so can’t comment. Having said that, back in 2012 I led a project using ARCTOOLS in which we archived 394,465,391 million records in 238 hours.

I think some of the things you should compare between vendors are;

What modules/tables do they archive by default (for example, Payroll) – I believe this was relatively new for ARCTOOLS in 2012 and worked perfectly.
Check what some of your largest tables are and ask if these tables are archived ‘out of the box’
What’s the development process like should you want/need to create a custom archive on a table(s) not provided by the vendor?
When ready to archive Production data, can you archive during business hours or do you require an outage?
The ARCTOOLS installation is simple enough, maybe one hour tops
I can say there technical support is excellent, quick to respond during our entire project and very knowledgeable
Think about checking some customer references between vendors

Happy archiving.

Michael L.
B7.1.4 thru 9.0 (World/OneWorld and coexistence)

Back