Unable to promote menu changes

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
We are on E1 9.0. I have never actually built and deployed a package for menu changes, but I understand that it should be possible. I have added two menu options and added the task and the task relationship to an OMW project. The project was then advanced to 26 (ready for QA). But when I try to build a package and key in the project name 'P012806E', no objects are listed to select from. This is never an issue other object types, UBEs, etc. But menu options do not appear to be working for me.

The attached has some screen shots of the project in OMW and the Package Assembly OMW selection screen showing no objects to select from.

What might I me missing that would prevent me from selecting the menu items on this project. Are package build/deploy of menu changes somehow different than other objects. I've had no other issues when selecting other object types, but this is the first time we have tried to put menu changes in an OMW project and deploy.

Missed the attachment I was going to attach.

Attachments

• 185312-PackageAssemblyMenuIssue.doc
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
You don't include menu objects in package builds. You just add them to an OMW project and advance them, per your statuses and activity rules -- typically from DV to PY to PD.

One note: deleting a menu object can be tricky, and I usually just do that on a fat client in the environments affected.

Menus are the same as UDCs. Put them in a package and advance the package through the path codes you want updated.
No build or deployment required. ☺

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of DSauve
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Unable to promote menu changes

You don't include menu objects in package builds. You just add them to an OMW project and advance them, per your statuses and activity rules -- typically from DV to PY to PD.

One note: deleting a menu object can be tricky, and I usually just do that on a fat client in the environments affected.

Don Sauve Wagstaff, Inc. Production: E1 9.0, Win2008, Oracle 11.2.0.1, TR 9.1.0.2, WebLogic 10.3.5, BI Publisher Test: TR 9.1.3.3

Thanks Don, that help understand things a bit I think. So you add them to your project and advance the status, but there is no need to actualy build and deploy those changes.

However, a question. One reason we are looking at this is that we had made some menu changes in DEV, then did a refresh from production to our test schemas, TESTCTL and TESTDTA. The refresh overwrote those menu changes. We have another refresh coming up. So those menu changes will again be overwritten it would seem. We were thinking we could just redeploy those changes to get them back in DEV. But if we do not actually build/deploy the menu changes, can we still reapply them using OMW?

I would try saving the menus to the save location in OMW and then restoring them after the refresh.
Just a thought.

Cody-

I like Cody's idea of saving these menu changes to a Save location, and then restoring them in a new OMW project after your refresh is completed.

Thanks, I like the save location idea only in our current environment, our Save location is not set up. I'll look into what it will take to set that up. Thanks.

You don't need to set save location on 9.0, you can export object into a .par file (XML) with OMW. Another way is to use configuration assistant to create an ESU that you can apply when you want. Last way is to configure OMW rules to transfer project from PY to DV.

Thanks Franck, you mention exporting an object into a .par file? I don't see anything OMW that seems to do that. How are you suggesting we export it to a .par file. Is that an option in OMW somewhere?

You could also save a copy of the following files and restore them after th e refresh.
These contain your menu changes and are located in PRODCTL, TESTCTL, CRPCTL & PRSTCTL:

F9000
F9001
F9002
F9005
F9005D
F9006
F9006D
F9020
F9022

See the attached doc. (OMW Object save as ZIP-PAR.doc)
It is only the basics but you will get the idea.

Attachments

• 185326-OMW Object save as ZIP-PAR.doc
    22 KB · Views: 78
Are you not ready to promote the menu changes to PD prior to the refresh?

You will find all information about this option on Oracle Support, document ID : 654394.1

Hi,

I have created a process to allow menu spreadsheets to be pasted between environments.

The biggest difficulty with using OMW is that the F9001 relationship records need to be in sync on the 2 sides. (JDE uses an internal identifier). If I see problems with OMW its normally because the tables were not in sync prior to making the changes in the source environment.

Back