JD edwards 9.1.x and Weblogic

jdee108

Hi Gurus,
We are on XE SP23 and planning to upgrade to 9.1.x. I would like to know if Weblogic is a must to have to go to 9.1.x. If it is must, what version (Standard/Enterprise) do we have to have? do you know if this would cost a lot of money?

Also what is involved (cost/hardware/software) in installing one view reporting.

Can some one advise on this.

Thanks
XE/SP23/Windows 2008

JDEE108

Jumping from XE to 9.1 is a huge jump. You are moving from the XE fat client model to the Jde on the Web model.

Yes, a web application server is required. Your choice is between Oracle Weblogic or IBM Websphere. To your end user, the choice of application server is transparent. They will be using JDE on a browser and it looks the same coming from either application server.

Most companies purchase all new hardware when they make the jump. That allows them to build, configure, migrate, train and test on 9.1 while maintaining XE. Once the conversion is done, then the old servers are retired or repurposed.

Cost is very subjective. It depends on what you need and how your contract with Oracle is structured.

I highly recommend finding a good business partner to help you with the upgrade. Upgrading is a specialized skill set. It is not a trivial task and I would not recommend trying to do it with just in-house resources. There are lots of good business partners that can guide you through that process.

One other option to consider - managed services. You can contract with a managed services provider to host your environment. There are different models of managed services. There is the remote hosting variety. You host the servers, the business partner manages them. Hosted environment - your users connect to a hosted system utilizing your existing and upgraded licenses. SAS Hosted - Software as a Service hosting. The business partner takes care of the hardware, software and support.

There are a lot more options now than when your company first implimented XE. The first step is to find the right business partner to create your overall strategy and then move forward from there.

- Gregg

I'd like to add a few things to what Gregg has already mentioned.

In choosing Weblogic or Websphere, you'll want to consider whether you're licensed for either the Red Stack (Oracle) or Blue Stack (IBM), as either of these stacks includes a web server. If that's not the case, then I'd also take into consideration your skill set internally.

The move from Xe to 9.1 is definitely a big jump, both for your IT folks and your end users. There are many new features available that you'll want to explore to see if you can take advantage of in your business. Using a good business partner is money well spent to guide you through the upgrade process on all levels (technical and functional).

Oracle also has added some good net-change documentation on MOS. This big of a jump will give you plenty to read up on, but at least there's a decent tool to catalog all of the changes.

Weblogic is a must to have to go to 9.1.x.
-->You need a Java Application Server (Weblogic or WebSphere).
If it is must, what version (Standard/Enterprise) do we have to have? do you know if this would cost a lot of money?
-->For WebLogic you can go with Standard Edition (cluster is not supported), for WebSphere express Edition is supported too. The Red Stack include WLS Standard Edition with no additional cost. Migration from XE requires to buy the tech stack (not a lot of money).

Also what is involved (cost/hardware/software) in installing one view reporting.
-->You need to install the BIServer (aka BI Publisher, aka Oracle BI BIP component). It's a JEE application running on a WLS instance (may be on the same Java server for JDE). The software is included in JDE (no additional cost). You need to pay only if you want to use the stanard OVR report).

[ QUOTE ]
-->You need a Java Application Server (Weblogic or WebSphere).
If it is must, what version (Standard/Enterprise) do we have to have? do you know if this would cost a lot of money?
-->For WebLogic you can go with Standard Edition (cluster is not supported), for WebSphere express Edition is supported too. The Red Stack include WLS Standard Edition with no additional cost. Migration from XE requires to buy the tech stack (not a lot of money).

-->You need to install the BIServer (aka BI Publisher, aka Oracle BI BIP component). It's a JEE application running on a WLS instance (may be on the same Java server for JDE). The software is included in JDE (no additional cost). You need to pay only if you want to use the stanard OVR report).

[/ QUOTE ]

This response is a good example of why you should always talk to your Oracle account rep. Some of this information is not accurate. I know he means well, but bad advice is bad advice.

For instance, there is a "One View Foundation" license to use One View - it's not something you *only* have to license if you want to run the "shipped reports." Don't just take my word for it. Review the Oracle license documentation and talk to your account rep.

See page 3:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/jd-edwards-price-list-070607.pdf

There's also limitations on how you can use the BI Publisher license that is shipped with EnterpriseOne.

See page 13:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/application-licensing-table-070571.pdf

These documents and others can be accessed from here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/price-lists/index.html

There is a lot of information out there....so much that it is hard to navigate.

You only have to do 3 things to understand what you need interms of hardare, software and services to migrate.

STEP 1. Attend a '100 Day Upgrade Workshop' - sign up at www.upgradejde.com/workshops. I'm giving my 12th later this month in Boston. It's free and it's Oracle content presented by certified partners. It you don't attend ours go see someone elses. The importnat thing is that you get to one well before thinking about an upgrade

STEP 2. Bring in your Oracle Rep. They will help you navigate the waters. They will also help you determine some costs and many of the various options.

STEP 3. Bring in a qualified partner. Oracle and a Partner will have different view points and may present different information. Even if you decide to do some of the effort yourself PAY a partner to help you chart your road map. If you only do an upgrade every 5 years (looks like 13 in your case) then you likely have no experience and no upgrade methodology. Leverage the skills of someone who's done this before. Don't try and do a "handy man kitchen remodel". Call a contractor, a plumber. and anyone else who's been there and done that

Colin

Charles,
I'was missing the founsation cost for OVR. Can you explain the others "bad advice"?

Hi Bruno,

What do you mean by [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] ?
Should I understand that WebSphere is NOT an(other) option?

Thank you,

Hi Adrian,
no, of course.

I mean a Web Server is mandatory (the question was on WebLogic so I wrote WebLogic in my answer but I presume that the question was about a Web Server).

Thanks for the change to better explain my answer

Adrian,
"Weblogic is a must to have to go to 9.1.x." is the original question.
"-->You need a Java Application Server (Weblogic or WebSphere" is my answer.

Now I'm coming home Bruno,
My mistake - you just 'inherited' the original question!

Thank you,

Back