Grid formats - Upgrade from XE to EO9.1

Luca Agosti

Luca Agosti

Hi list,
we are upgrading our old JDE XE to EO 9.1.
Some users ask us if there is a possibility to transfer their grid formats from old to new systems (I mean P98950).
I saw Oracle 11g tables (EO9.1) are a little bit different from old Oracle 10g tables (XE).
My question: is there a possibility to do this operation? Our users will be very happy...
Thank you.

Hi Luca,
the upgrade plan converts grid formats (user overrides) too.

May be that conversion cause some issues so you need to delete and recreate the formats for some apps.

Regards

Bruno Condemi

Hi,

Problem is that grid formats have radically changed from Xe to 9.1... I had some (bad) experiences migrating them, in part due to the fact that the underlying apps had major changes (like P4101) behind.

Technically this is possible as there a convertion available for this. However, practically it does not works as cleanly as you would like to. We found couple of issues e.g if the application is modified( columns moved, removed or new addition) in the new release, your old grid will not work properly.

What we really did were we recreated *public create manually and informed the users that their personalized grids will not be brought over. Only few users really had any issues with this

Save yourself and your users a LOT of frustration. Do not try to use any converted grid formats. After your upgrade, just go in and recreate *PUBLIC grid formats, and then have your users recreate their own personal grid formats.

From 1 release to another, grid columns may be added, or internal column ID's may change. The result we saw was strange behavior in grids, which was only resolved by wiping out all converted grid formats and recreating them from scratch.

Yes, it's a pain, but it's way better than fighting this uphill battle. Not that I have any scars from this :)

Back