First test of JDE Shutdown / Package clear not successful

serenity_now

Hi,

The need came up to clear all SQLPKGS on our server. Previously we had just been clearing QRECOVERY but after some system issues we were advised to clear all JDE libraries.

I created the following CL program as per a JDE article. However, I ran this one night to test in debug mode using the strisdb command. I ran this from the console and it seemed to be running for quite some time and eventually I lost connection from a separate interactive session that I had. I ended up having to IPL the system as I was helpless not being able to connect to a green screen and having the console locked up running the command.

Does anything look wrong with this program? I confirmed as it was running that jde was stopped, qusrwrk subsystem was ended, however even though it appeared to be running I couldnt see it deleting any SQL packages.

MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
ADDLIBLE E812SYS
E812SYS/ENDNET
DLYJOB DLY(90)
E812SYS/CLRIPC
ENDHOSTSVR *ALL
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
ENDSBS QUSRWRK *IMMED
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (QRECOVERY/O*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (QRECOVERY/T*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (QRECOVERY/R*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (COPD812/A*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (COPD812/B*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (COPD812/C*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLTSQLPKG (COPD812/D*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
.. I repeat this for every letter but Q to be safe, and for other JDE libraries.
STRSBS SBS(QUSRWRK)
STRHOSTSVR *ALL
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
DLYJOB DLY(60)
E812SYS/STRNET

I was unable to find any logs containing any kind of errors, and as I was running this in debug I couldnt really find a job log for it. Was I just not patient enough? Should the ENDHOSTSVR *ALL command disconnect me from a green screen interactive session, if not, what could have caused this? I was then unable to reconnect, and as the console was running the program in debug mode and not usuable I didnt see any other option but IPL. Had I saw the SQLPKGS getting removed I would have felt better but I didnt really see anything happening after the initial JDE / qusrwrk shutdown.

I can't speak directly to what you trying to accomplish with the SQL package deletions because we're not an 8.1 shop, but IMO it would have been smarter to wrap your commands up into a CL program, compile it and submit it as a batch job from the console with the job message logging level set to 4.

This would have forced the batch job to log basically everything. You could then do a WRKSBMJOB, use 5 followed by 10 to see the job log activity level.

A good rule of thumb is that you *never* run something like this interactively from the console unless your planning to do a controlled shutdown/restart, backup, etc.

Just my 2 cents...

Terry

Thanks for your reply.

I agree, it was a compiled CL program but I decided to run it in debug mode. In hindisght it was probably a silly decision.