Autostart weblogic JDE instances after reboot

rival

Dear all,

We are testing JDE 9.1. We switched from O.A.S in our current 8.12 to Oracle weblogic. Can someone explain me in simple words how I can achieve that after a reboot of the windows 2008R2 server also all services come up so that I am able to logon o JDE?

Is this possible to configure via the gui? I read many documents and I was not able to do it. Why is this so difficult for a server product? Our goal is to automatically reboot the server every 2 days.

I really hope someone who configured this multiple times can point me to the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,
it's easy; you need to have wls as a service:

SETLOCAL
set DOMAIN_NAME=E1_Apps
set USERDOMAIN_HOME=C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\E1_Apps
set SERVER_NAME=E1_PS_8079
set PRODUCTION_MODE=true
set ADMIN_URL=http://e1web:7001
cd %USERDOMAIN_HOME%
call %USERDOMAIN_HOME%\bin\setDomainEnv.cmd
call C:\Oracle\Middleware\wlserver_10.3\server\bin\installSvc.cmd
ENDLOCAL

Regards

Bruno Condemi

Why wouldn't you use the Nodemanager - thats the purpose of the Nodemanager, to automatically start up instances. There is already a service created for the startup of the nodemanager - and anything registered to it (adminserver for example) will then start up based on its last state....

I would assume everyone would start JDE or SOA or whatever using the nodemanager - ?

Jon,
from what I know Nodemanager has more capabilities that simple instances startup; simple win service creation for the managed instances can be a valid option. What do you think?

rival,
reboot the web server is not so good. The java dynamic code recompilation optimize the code based on the execution history; if you reboot the server optimization is lost. Never tested the impact on JDE web application but it's not a best practice.

Why you need to reboot the web server?

I agree that nobody should be restarting the WLS every two days. Optimization at the web cache level will be lost. I personally have weblogic servers running for more than 30 days before something outside of WLS - such as patching - requires a restart. Not even a package build requires a restart anymore.

Dear All,

Thank you for your replies. Especially altquark. With nodemanager and some finetuning and some additional documents I was able to start everything after a reboot. (even te adminserver)

Why I want to reboot. We are running 8.12 on O.A.S at this moment. Some years ago I had the advice to reboot these machines so that everything is cleared and freshly started. So I expected that this is also good practise for Weblogic.

So what is your advice about the instances? Let them running until the machine must be rebooted for maintenance or only restart instances once a week?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

P.S. Any more standard tips for Weblogic? I am completely new with this.

Don't reboot. Once a week is probably enough - personally I don't reboot unless I absolutely have to - usually its about once a month for windows patches. The longer the instance is up and running, the better it performs. When you bounce the weblogic server, it "resets" the clock !

Hello Bruno,

After following steps my windows service got created.

But when checked for Admin Server it was not running and unable to access weblogic console.

Please advise.

Thanks,
AP

Back