Process-based Menus vs Function-based Menus and E1 Pages... opinions welcomed

Randall_Whiteman

Is Oracle trying to encourage us to move JDE process documentation from menus to E1 Pages?

My company’s implementation project of E1 9.x (with Tools 9.1) is nearing the end of configuration and we have a pivotal decision to make regarding how to configure menus. My experience has been that JDE menus are traditionally based on end-user processes so that a single menu would contain objects from multiple JDE modules as required to perform the process. Prior to the release of tools 9.1, end users would open the menu to the process they need to perform, and sequentially work their way down the menu, performing each step of the process. It seems to me this is far less efficient and doesn’t work very well now that menus are cascading. I am suggesting that menus are configured to be function based where all apps/reports for an area of functionality (such as Inventory) and all their respective versions reside under the same menu structure and that processes are transferred to role-based E1 Pages.

I do appreciate you taking a moment to respond with your experiences and opinion.

We're currently doing a Segregation of Duties project and as part of it we elected to use functional menu method. This save duplication of applications for multiple processes and makes for fewer chances of version problems. Plus it make fine cutting much easier.

We recommend using process - based roles irrespective of whether the menus are solution exporer or pages. Either way, both the menu maintenance and the security maintenance are easier with process based roles - as terry says above.

Starting with TR 9.1.0.4 the breadcrumbs option is now available for menu navigation.

Back