Splitting 2 companies in 1 JDE instance into 2 different companies in 2 different instances

pfd

Reputable Poster
Splitting 2 companies in 1 JDE instance into 2 different companies in 2 different instances

Our company is thinking of splitting itself into 2. Currently we are on JDE Xe and the 2 companies are each identified by a specific company #. My question is how do we go about creating 2 new instances of JDE from this 1 instance? In theory we could copy all the data from 1 environment to the other. But how do we then ensure that only data for company 1 remains in 1 environment and data for company 2 remains in the second instance? Any best practices on this? We are on an AS/400.

Any help/documents on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Splitting 2 companies in 1 JDE instance into 2 different companies in 2 different instances

Not an easy and straight forward task. Pretty sure there are no white papers floating around on this. If you have a good sized JDE Development staff onsite this is something that could keep them busy for quite a while.

And definitely something that can't be answered easily on this site.

Contact me if you are looking for help. I could probably give you a better overview of what has to be done.

Re: Splitting 2 companies in 1 JDE instance into 2 different companies in 2 different instances

Thanks Bob!
It will be 2 different instances of JDE on 2 different servers with nothing in common between the 2 companies, once the companies are split up. The 2 new companies will be independent companies each with its own infrastructure.

I cannot figure out any easy way to split the data between the 2 companies though each has its own unique company#. We can scrub the data manually for a few tables but how do we automate the process for a few thousand tables?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
I would like to put our offering on the table. I have attached information on our tool iC3 which does exactly what you are looking for. It will segregate business units/companies to extract and migrate. We designed it for complex phased upgrades for large global companies, which we also divest companies at the same time. So your effort of systematically divesting your one instance into two should be easy, with a little up front configuration.

If you would like to discuss, you can reach me on my cell at 603-801-1873

Attachments

• 177119-iC3.pdf
    339.6 KB · Views: 142

Sounds like a pretty big challenge. I honestly don't know if the company number is in every transaction type table or not and even if it is it might use different aliases (CO, KCOO, OKCO, etc.).

I would probably make two identical database copies and then delete records from tables that have a company field for the unwanted company and hopefully any tables that don't have a company field/code will effectively have thier records orphaned.

To build an automated process (one that doesn't require you to review/design/code table by table), you could identify all the DD aliases that denote a company code, you could create an auto process that looks for any table with at least one of the known aliases and then deletes the records in that table for a given company code.

Thanks Brian and Tony!
Tony, I may get in touch with you in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Matt

The account (MCU.OBJ.SUB or AID) is also unique to a specific company - see the F0901. One issue that adds complexity is the existance of any intercompany transactions.

Folks,

I know this is not easy. This is why I did it 6 years ago.

I am out of Edwards, but then something I created still will work!

I am tired of seeing posts with company heads that I trained personally to be creative and signed OFF time sheet.

Did I create monsters or Leeches.

Get Creative before you say something Stupid.

Regards,
Creator of iC3.

Back