Negative Commitments

Michael27

Hi All,
We are running into negative commitments issues in several of our Sales Order Processes (After order entry, Credit notes with out quantity on hand, backorder release, and we also suspect of custom Work Order Processes)

Has anyone run into these behaviors of orders/items showing as negatively commited either at primary or secondary locations at some point in a Sales process?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike

I've come across this issue many times. Various actions and series of events can cause rogue commitments, both negative and positive.

Running R42995, R3190 and R43990 on the scheduler out of hours can help to reduce the errors leftover.

If an issue isn't cleared overnight, or can't wait until the scheduled job, run the relevant UBE manually, but run with caution, use the item and branchplant in the data selection, to reduce the risk of the job running whilst availability checking is happening during sales order entry etc.

Hope this helps
Aidy

Hi Aidy,
Really appreciate your answer.
I agree that PO/SO/WO Repost should correct most of those wrong commitments. I believe Oracle themselves admit there´s a "bug" in their Commitment processeses.
In fact that´s what I keep insisting on but business users can be quite special and not accept our evidence.
Would you have time to comment on the various actions you mention that can cause rougue commitments?
That would be great. I can share my experiences, conclusiones and evidences as well if you are interested.
Looking forward to your answer.
Kind regards
M.

Hi Michael

Sorry for the delay, I've only just spotted your reply.

One thing that I believe can cause an issue is when a repost is run, it basically clears out all of the commitment buckets and replaces them with what is set against open orders. (You can sometimes see this happening if you repeatedly click find in detailed availability whilst the repost is running). If however the report is long running (may be due to bad data selection) and someone is placing a sales order which has availabilty checking turned on at exactly the same time, then this can result in stock getting over committed.

Another potential cause of problems is users having multiple windows open simultaneously and trying to place multiple orders on the same item number.

I also suspect that when a user places items on an order, but never confirms the order, and allows the session to time out may cause problems.

Cancelling of orders seems to cause problems occasionally as well, I seem to remember an issue when cancelling work orders which contained large parts lists and kits as items. One of the business functions can take a long time to return and can cause locks on the database if the parts list is very complex.

I expect like many others, to fix these problems with a re-post is much simpler than trying to replicate these potential causes reliably each and everytime.

Hope this helps
Aidy

Back