Any reason not to use Power Form for SOE?

magpie

We are currently upgrading to 9.0 from 8.10 and I've been familiarizing myself with P42101. I noticed that P4210 is also still available.

If you are on a release that has the Sales Order Power Form, is there any reason not to use it?

We are a small company that does some of our own development, but we outsource the most complex development (including business functions) to a local developer. Is P42101 more difficult to support?

Thank you for any opinions on support and/or usage of P42101.

P42101 must have been a grand experiment in 'ABSTRACTION'.

It is far-and-away a new monster. Don't get me wrong, I like the new interface. However, for changes it's nothing like the old one. The MBF is the same, but the new abstraction layer for the powerform is not something for the feeble minded, or deficient constitution.
blush.gif

Short version: before you change it, make sure you know what you're doing.
grin.gif

I concur with WhippingBoy.

We upgraded to 9.0 and decided not to go to P42101 because we have some large modifications in P4210 and didn't want to take the time/risk to move those into a new object.

It does look fun though.

I believe that there is some functionality in the old P4210 that was not included in P42101 - perhaps kit/configurator support.

Magpie,

P42101 does seem to be quite a monster. It has some glamour, and can be difficult to modify. Note - I say MODIFY and not Copy (being a Power Form, there are some interactions from / to other applications that will get dropped in the translation).

As for any 'future' development - I would recommend using Power Forms over Traditional Forms. You can treat the main form just as any other - and your have the option to append Sub Form options in the future.

(db)

We are using it. We went back and forth with whether we should or not, but after talking to others we decided to go with the powerforms as somebody told us that was the route the JDE would probably continue to move in. Another benefit to us is that we have not done any modificatons to it.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback.

After discussing SOE this morning, we've decided to go live on P4210 (with our mods). A few months after we go live, we'll treat P42101 as a seperate project and modify it as necessary.

Back