override standard cost in sales order entry

Howell Hicks

When entering a sales order in P4210, users may override the standard cost that defaults for an item. When this has happened, the R42800 creates inventory and COGS journal entries that are calculated using the cost entered by the user. Without journal entries that account for the difference between the standard cost and the cost entered by the user, the G/L inventory balance is relieved at a cost that is different than the cost at which the inventory was received, which causes the G/L account to deviate from the perpetual inventory balance. Is there a way to force the R42800 to generate journal entries, in addition to the inventory and COGS entries, that account for the difference between the item's standard cost and the override cost entered in the sales order by the user?

Consider running R42950 (Sales Order Price/Cost Update) before running R42800 on a SO. You can even set a processing option in R42800 to do this for you.

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the help, but I am trying to retain the cost override entered into the sales order -- I don't want to reset the cost to the item's standard cost (from the F4105), which if I'm not mistaken, is what the R42950 would do...do I have that wrong?

If the user manually changed the cost in the sales order line, the R42950 could not update it, because the column of cost overwritten will be written in 1.

I think the best way is to disable or not show the cost field in P4210, it can be set in the process option of P4210.

Back