ER Compare Tool & Rpt/Evt Variables

jdel6654

VIP Member
Pardon my ignorance as I am a CNC and not a developer. We are helping developers retrofit 8.12 objects into 9.00. One of the things that seems to be a sticking point is how to get custom ER variables merged into the new base object.

Comparing the tools with ER Compare we can see how to merge the custom code into the new base object. However, we get stuck in trying to merge in the custom ER variables (declaration)?

How does a developer merge in the custom ER variables into the base object using the ER Compare tool? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J,

Lately, that has become a thorn in several of the upgrades / migrations I've been part of. Prior to 'recently', merging those ER Variables was no-different than any other ER logic. You would move the Variables, Save the object, then move the ER logic - using the ER Merge tool.

Recently (last year+), something changed in the tools releases... and it's a 50/50 gamble to make it work. I haven't seen a fix come across from Oracle (or a formal bug post, either).

You might consider experimenting with the XML Specs and using a tool like Beyond Compare (If the Legacy System has the ability to export to XML). Note: BC will not display the spec in XML Format - be aware.

I'm trying to stay very light on the keyboard, this week, in-recovery, and I will promise to play with the concept of the XML Merge next week (If I haven't been assigned a new opportunity by then). Logically, XML Merge might be safer than the ER Merge, but the only way to know will be to test.

To test: (after SAVING OFF COPY OF Original BASE CODE)
1 - Save to Par the Original Code (OMW, Legacy - if available)
2 - Save to Par the New Code
3 - Rename the .par to .zip and the internal .par(s) to .zip(s)
4 - Use Scooter Software's Beyond Compare to 'compare' the Spec
6 - If the code looks like it can be merged - try it
7 - Change the .Zip(s) back to .Par(s)
8 - Restore the object (OMW)
9 - Validate Specs and Test the Hades out of it

(db)

[ QUOTE ]

Recently (last year+), something changed in the tools releases... and it's a 50/50 gamble to make it work.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx for the info daniel. wasn't aware of this. it's been a while since i used er compare for an upgrade (7332 to 8.10), and -like u said- it was pretty straightforward. we've got one or two 9.x upgrades coming up, so good to keep this in mind.

and about that xml specs thing: yeah, i had already read about that in another post of yours, and put it on my todo list to play around with it and see if i can get that to work. but haven't gotten round to it yet. hope to try it soon. cheers.

Back