Change a view without recreating a report

Pinky2010

It is possible to change the view of a report without recreating the entire report. The challenge is - a new table is being included in the view used by the report. The same view is used by other reports, so I cannot change the existing view. I created a new view for this, but how do I include it (replace the old view) in the existing report without recoding the report entirely.

The Achilles heel of JDE development / ER code (one of a couple).

Short answer is you can't. I rarely ever do this so someone that has done this more than I can probably give you a more detailed/definitive answer about changing the business view on a section or form. However, I believe sometimes if you start by copying the original BV and then add your tables/fields, etc. without removing any existing tables or fields, you can sometimes "slip" it in to a UBE section or form w/o losing too much. You still should probably review/click through all your ER code and any data bound report/form objects to make sure everything is still there. The ability to do this does somewhat depend your release too I think.

Let me step up on my soap box for a moment. This is one of the main reasons why I put as much code as reasonably possible into C BSFNs. You don't lose all your code when you decide to make some little change. I simply use ER code to tie all my BSFN calls together. By doing this when I do change a view, or table or something the impact is as minimal as possible. Do I still do some simple logic in ER code? Sure, but if I am using a UBE section to read in records and then do a bunch of business logic you won't find a big massive block of ER code in the DO event, you will find a BSFN call.

Please, look at our XMLinSPECtor software for free-hand editing of JDE XML SPEC's - it can quite easily find and replace all such references in a given UBE...

You can follow the instructions on the JDESOURCE site, I have documented them previously ~ it does work.

Additionally, I would change the underlying .par files to .zip and use windows explorer to navigate throughout, without extracting all the files. Do remember which were .par, you will have to change them back before importing (we should make a request to Oracle to make them .ZIP to begin with)

Consider using free tools like M$'s XML Notepad 2007 Explorer before getting trapped into a ridiculously-expensively overpriced single-user product that does much of the same things.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7973

If you change the .Par(s) to .Zip(s) you can use Windows Explorer to search the zipped file(s) and identify all the XML files that contain the BSVW in the saved object / project, then double-tap the objects to do a find/replace using the FREE Microsoft Product.

Always create an offline / Saved copy - before you start playing

(db)

Note: If you attempt to import an XML file into a system that does not already have an object with that name - create the object 'first', even with no logic. You need to have a placeholder object in the F98 tables before importing or you will get empty specs.

For future readers of this post, I always recommend that developers create a new business view for every custom report/section they develop -- never re-use. BSVW specs are very "light". It is better to have a multiplicity of BSVWs, than to deal with replacing a BSVW. This will eliminate the problem as described in the post.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Pinky2010,

I think you should check this article: http://www.jdesource.com/enterpriseone/change-filenames-in-table-conversion-or-business-view-in-ube/

Regards,

Luis

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You can follow the instructions on the JDESOURCE site, I have documented them previously ~ it does work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luis, Daniel: Thanx. And just to add: Although not explicitly mentioned on that page, the method also works for interactive applications. I tried it the other day on a copy of a standard JDE interactive appl, with a view over a copy of the original underlying JDE-table. I was done in under an hour (Had to modify 63 xml-files
tongue.gif
). Nice. <Insert thumbs-up icon here>

Hello ,

I am trying to change par file for an object.Basically i want to change GBRSPEC which i have changed using beyond compare tool
1.changed .par to .zip
2.extracted .zip to folder using window explorer
3.extracted specs zip using windows explorer
4.modified required file with notepad++
5.after saving used beyond compare tool and copied changed xml file to initial .zip file
6 converted zip to par and restored

Issue facing :
while restoring it says
The returned count from RDB was in error for spec F98741
This was a known problem with as400
please suggest

Thanks in advance.

Back