Using VMWare with JDE E811 SP1

radi8

Well Known Member
We are planning on virtualizing our JDE servers using VMWare (ESXI Hypervisor Server 4.1). Has anyone else used this for their JDE VM solution? If so, is there anything I need to be aware of or be careful of when deploying the Deployment, Enterprise, and Web Server machines?

radi8,

There have been many, many discussions on this topic, check here . I have two very large clients going live soon on 9.0, one using vSphere 4.1 the other OVM. You must read Oracle's support statement regarding virtualization in ID 249212.1

-Ethan

Thanks, love the google thing.

I did a search on this site and got many listings but could not find one specific to our VM. Thanks for the info.

Hate to be a wet rag - but the last time I checked, Oracle did not support enterprise servers on VMware. They support it on OVM. At my last job, we had all of our weblogic and application servers on OVM.

- Gregg

Me must expand on what my padowin says.

We have 10+ clients running 100% virtual on VMWare.

In fact I have clients running Oracle RAC on VMWare with Active-Active Enterprise Servers and Web Servers.

VMWare is just an extension of the O/S.

Go do what makes sense for you and damn the support policies.

My only caution is to ensure the I/O performance works for your environment.

When I think about it all of our net new JDE installs in the last few years have been exclusively on VMWare and most of our upgrades for the SMB market have been transitioned to VMWare.

Colin

We use VMWare for our deployment server and our windows enterprise server. We are on 9.0 update 1 and it has been fine. The only thing you need to be aware of is when you install, make sure you are on the console and not remote desktop but that is advisable for physical machines too!
However, we do build our packages on a separate physical machine because when we were on XE it really slow building a package on a VM machine.

[ QUOTE ]
Me must expand on what my padowin says.

We have 10+ clients running 100% virtual on VMWare.

In fact I have clients running Oracle RAC on VMWare with Active-Active Enterprise Servers and Web Servers.

VMWare is just an extension of the O/S.

Go do what makes sense for you and damn the support policies.

My only caution is to ensure the I/O performance works for your environment.

When I think about it all of our net new JDE installs in the last few years have been exclusively on VMWare and most of our upgrades for the SMB market have been transitioned to VMWare.

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

In response to my Jedi Master - I didn't say it wouldn't work, I used it successfully in my pre-consulting days. I just said that it is not "Oracle Supported." So if you run into issues and Oracle notices that you are running on VM-ware, they then have an excuse to wiggle out of helping you. Just keep that risk in mind if you go down that road.

I have worked with OVM and VM-ware, VM-ware is much more mature. In my previous shop, we put XE production servers on hardware, test servers on Vm-ware.

Our 9.0 environment started out with hardware for the database server, and OVM for everything else.

May the force be with you

- Obi-Wan-Gregg-Kanobee

[ QUOTE ]
Hate to be a wet rag - but the last time I checked, Oracle did not support enterprise servers on VMware. They support it on OVM. At my last job, we had all of our weblogic and application servers on OVM.

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could offer a slight correction - Oracle doesn't not support VMWare.

They pretend it's not there until it becomes the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could offer a slight correction - Oracle doesn't not support VMWare.

They pretend it's not there until it becomes the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to add to the irony factor, the last time I took a Linux class from an OU instructor, he had the linux servers set up on a VM-ware server.......

[ QUOTE ]

... I just said that it is not "Oracle Supported." So if you run into issues and Oracle notices that you are running on VM-ware, they then have an excuse to wiggle out of helping you. Just keep that risk in mind if you go down that road...

[/ QUOTE ]

Plain flat out wrong. Sorry Greg, but this is misinformation.

Vmware isn't CERTIFIED. Oracle will absolutely support a vmware installation BUT if they cannot reproduce your issue in their physical (or OVM) environment, they will politely point you to vmware for support.

Not being certified is VERY different from not being supported. IBM vPower isn't "certified" and so nor are iSeries LPAR's technically - the reality is that most pSeries and iSeries users use these.

Please be careful when you state things aren't supported. If the community keeps repeating something like this, it'll become fact.

Oracle just clarified this in their statement of support for virtualization by the way - Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMware Virtualized Environments (Doc ID 249212.1) - they always keep that document up to date.

I have all WLS servers at my customer running on vmware partitions (and database/e1 logic running on pSeries vPower)

Back