Changing a BSFN from Client only to Client/Server

patcc

Well Known Member
Hi,

There is a standard BSFN which is set to Client only BSFN and I want to change it to Client/Server BSFN.

Is there a quick way of changing it?

I see that there is a field in F9860 that indicates 1 for Client only and 2 for client/server.
If I do a check out and set it by SQL to 2 and check it in.. will it work?

If not, please tell me what other quick solution available?

I am on JDE XE B7334.

Thanks

Hi,

Why would you use sql to change that, once your bsfn is checked out, as you can change it in design, in OMW ?
Once checked out, go to "Design" on your bsfn, and then to "function design aid", and in the header, you can modify the "business function location (c/s)".
Then you check it in. Then it's the usual process of object promoting and deployment.

About your version, i'm a bit confused. Xe is B7333, and B7334 is ERP 8. So which one do you use ?

Rgds,

Pattc,

Before you just go and change the BSFN to Client/Server you need to ask yourself why it was set to Client Only in the first place. If you have a function using a Wintel(Windows) API and you try to run it on a Unix server even if you flip the flag to Client / Server it will not work. Same thing for server only function using function that may not run in a Wintel environment. It could be that this function have to have access to a folder or file that your client only have access to, I don't know at this point as you are not providing the function or function code.

Changing the flag of the BSFN is easy but look at the code first you may not be able to run it on your server base on what the code is doing.

Yes, I am sure that it should compile successfully on both the client and server. We are not using a unix server.

I changed the flag and checked it in. Then I built an update package but it still fails. Do I need a full package for this?

Thanks

Hi again,

No there's no need to do a full package.
But when you say it fails, when does it ? Is it during the package build, or did the package build and deployment to server(s) work but it failed at runtime ?
Did you ckeck the server logs ? You should get some information on what's wrong in the jde.log of the call object process on the server.

Rgds,

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am sure that it should compile successfully on both the client and server. We are not using a unix server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it compiles doesn't mean it can run on the server. There is probably a very good reason why it was client only and to make it client/server will almost certainly require modifications to the code. For example, this is an NER it might be doing a form inter-connect. If that executes on the server you are going to get a zombie kernel. It might be calling a win32 api that opens some sort of dialog box such as a file or directory dialog... that too won't work when executing in a service process on the server.

Thanks. I was working on NER calling an application. When I compiled using Client Only it worked. Wow. Was wondering why was getting issue until I found this and one more similar thread.

Back