Anyone else tired of these emails?

andyklee

Reputable Poster
I received this from a consultant at the largest JDE Business Partner in the world:

"I have just started working on pricing stuff..I have some queries on the same.
I want to know what is the difference between Pricing and Advanced Pricing.How does the pricing impact these three table F40941,F40942 and F40943.I want to check what type of pricing is applied on my current system.Actually i went thru the JDE list and from there i got your email id.

Please mail me some documents on same if you have."

I suppose language or cultural differences might account for some of the rather demanding tone of this request. But, give me a break, please!

Thanks for listening.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Three things, that I miss in this email:

One part at the beginning, other part at the end of the e-mail. (You will figure out, what do I mean).
Spaces between sentences.

Tell the truth, I am not really surprise after the content of the email.

Have a break.

Regards,

Zoltán

There is only one way I can read this email and that is in the voice of Yoda. Try it, it fits.

This is the reason we stopped looking for help from the large_er JDEBP
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
language or cultural differences

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. They replaced ALL their experts with a young generation, AND they train it on Customer's time & money
shocked.gif

PS We found an experienced midsize JDEBP answering lots of questions on JDEList, took them for a ride, and we stuck with them for almost five years
cool.gif

Hi svl,

[ QUOTE ]

There is only one way I can read this email and that is in the voice of Yoda.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I do it? You made me curious.

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Andy,

I am new to computers. Can you please explain everything about a computer to me? Then explain ERP? Please explain every ERP package to me; right now, I can't waste my time so start doing it, now! Can you also please give me a computer, a personal assistant to help me with my computer, a job, a couple of keywords that I can throw into my skill set and then bill me out at an outrageous price to a business that purchases my skills on name recognition only? Can you also please take care of my dog?

UNREAL!

The dog I can handle. The rest? Try JDElist. I hear Gregg Larkin is good.

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
The dog I can handle. The rest? Try JDElist. I hear Gregg Larkin is good.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Help you I can, yes.

You guys all cracked me up today when I read this thread. At first I was thinking that my distinguished colleagues were a little harsh this last Friday…maybe had rough day? lol
blush.gif
I did feel a disturbance in the "farce." lol

All ribbing aside, I also have to admit that I too get a little perturbed when I receive questions from "experts" that sound like they were asked by someone just introduced to JDE minutes earlier. But then again, that is a byproduct of being in an ever changing systems environment. Eventually the younglings we train will come before the council desiring to be acknowledged as JDE Masters.

Did I ever tell you guys this one? When I was at my last company (names withheld to protect the innocent…and the guilty) we were just beginning our efforts to upgrade our Tools Release, when the company decided to bring in a consultant from one of the big ten OBP consultancies, whose firm they had hired before a few years back for a so-called "re-implementation" project. I was still cleaning up from the mess they created during that one. This CNC had worked with us before on contract and knew our system. They brought him in on a special contract to exclusively handle most of the CNC work with the Tools upgrade. A few days into our month long implementation, I happened to notice that our staff CNC Administrator had logged an issue with Oracle My Support asking for the printed instructions for installing the Tools Release upgrade. When I asked him about it, he said that the consultant requested it. I just couldn't keep from laughing even though I did not think it was funny.

So when you get those emails guys, remember the message deeply embedded in each one..."Oh-be-the-one...you're are only hope."
wink.gif

You know I just tried Yoda and I later found that it's a better fit for C3PO, more his type of questions !
tongue.gif

Now, this thread is getting condescending. So, am I to assume that all CNC/technical professionals don't ever use a manual, book or checklist to make sure steps aren't missed when doing upgrade tasks and the like? Or, that CNC/technical professionals never ask questions, they just jump right in setting flags, loading and running processes that affect the entire install? Or, is this the required hazing a person must endure when they reach out for help on a "we are there to provide help and discussion" forum from the experts/professionals?
smile.gif

It's not at all like you have described it, please re-read it from the start.

This wasn't "just" a question, it wasn't asked in this forum and yes, the person in question was indeed supposed to know the answer to start with, or at least to undertake to look it up in to docs.

It is revolting when someone goes out to a client to do work (and presumably charging a pretty penny per hour for it) without the least idea about what it is all about (and I must add: probably without any tools for the job at hand either).

Hi,

Imagine you go to the dentist because you have a huge
cavity in a molar.

You sit down on the dentist chair, and watch him
as he posts a couple of questions in the Internet

How to give anesthesia to a dental patient?
How to treat cavities?
Anyone knows about a "Dental drilling 101" book?

What would you think of that dentist?

Sebastian

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Imagine you go to the dentist because you have a huge
cavity in a molar.

You sit down on the dentist chair, and watch him
as he posts a couple of questions in the Internet

How to give anesthesia to a dental patient?
How to treat cavities?
Anyone knows about a "Dental drilling 101" book?

What would you think of that dentist?

Sebastian

[/ QUOTE ]

And then he asks the questions like Yoda...

"MMM - Anesthesia to patient you give? Pain is from the dark side...

Holes in teeth with cavities to mend?

The wisdom of the Dental Arts you seek? There is much power in the Dental Arts. For 400 years the Dental arts I practice....."

I don't understand the initiatives behind starting this email thread however; I am glad someone did. I have seen wide range of questions on this site. Starting from simple questions to complex installations. I came across many consultants who got no valid experience in real life but the resume is loaded with lot of details. Though I appreciate their “common sense” and “sense of adventure” to survive, it is totally unfair to people with real talent.

Since there are no set rules about "type of questions", "level of complexity", "who is asking and why", etc. it is only up to “conscience” on how this site is used. We cannot leave everything to “conscience”. Trust me there very few with some conscience.

It would be better to establish some ground rules:

1. It may not be a bad idea to start charging
2. Posting should be a privilege, which can be achieved by answering and helping others
3. Posting individual need to identify him/herself and the company/corporation he/she working for
4. There got to be some kind of penalty if anyone breaks rules (take away some of the privileges

... and the list goes on. I understand that I am not re-inventing anything new. I am a member of ExpertsExchange.com (paid site) and they have lot of these procedures in place.

Lot of people with real talent are going out of their way to offer a solution. Anyone who offers a solution need to get compensated (short term or long term).

Pardha

[ QUOTE ]
Now, this thread is getting condescending. So, am I to assume that all CNC/technical professionals don't ever use a manual, book or checklist to make sure steps aren't missed when doing upgrade tasks and the like?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just the point jdetechpro. Andy's issue involved a CNC/technical professional asking Andy to take away from his busy schedule to do all the research for him which he should be doing himself. In my case with the Tools Upgrade I was discussing, if the CNC Contractor (aka., Tools Upgrade Implementation Expert) that our company brought in to help us, wanted or needed Oracle whitepapers to help him, which is totally fine, he shouldn't be asking us as the customer to get them for him.

Present company excepted, but anyone else that feels this discussion is condescending probably earned the position to be on the receiving end of condescension by not doing their homework before asking someone to do it for them.
mad.gif

Okay, now I understand. "If you come to play/work, come prepared." To which, I TOTALLY agree.
grin.gif
It's just the ripping with fangs and blood spill that got me kind of queasy
wink.gif
. I'll be stronger next time.

I tend to get private mesages like: "kindly help for JDE finance certification Q & A. my certification exam is scheduled on 9th sept,2010." too, time after time (just from my box here right now).

It's nice when someone schedules an exam without any prior training or study and then makes it your problem, right? ;-)

[ QUOTE ]

In my case with the Tools Upgrade I was discussing, if the CNC Contractor (aka., Tools Upgrade Implementation Expert) that our company brought in to help us, wanted or needed Oracle whitepapers to help him, which is totally fine, he shouldn't be asking us as the customer to get them for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only point I would like to make here is that as per Oracle support guidelines, Customer related cases must be logged using customer's support Id. Consultants should not use their own support identifier to create cases for customers. Not all documents are published on Oracles support site. For example we are doing an install of A7.1 and had to create a SR just to get the MTR's cos they were not published.

Back