Create!Bind files fail to merge with forms project - Need Help

Douglas Roesch

I am trying to use the Create!Bind utility to bind multiple JDE AR statements together and send to a merge print queue. It seems to bind the pdf documents fine but the Create!Form merge project fails to recognize the file format. I get an error message in the log file saying "file is neither a XML or PDF document." Files merge ok if not bound together. Has anyone encountered this issue? thanks.

What version of Cform apps are you running? Is this World or E1 output you're trying to merge?

I think you might need to have a Publisher license. Additionally, your JTT file might needs to contain the parameter "%PDFfileName" (if your spool files are from E1).

Karen.

Version of JDE is EnterpriseOne 8.0. CreateForms version 6.1. Currently our merge process works fine. There has been a new requirement to email statements to our customers so I am using Director to split and email, which works fine. Not all of them want it emailed so I send the "NON email statements" during the split process to a folder that I want to bind back together so we can print as a single document. All works as expected just the binding step. Your help is appreciated thanks.

I'm confused... you're using Cform v6.1 to merge your form projects and not Cform v3.2? If Cform v3.2 is in the mix then I think what you need is that parameter in your JTT file.

Here's the whole setup:

- You do not need a Publisher license for Sort & Bind
- The JTT in your director project should look like:
%PDF-1.0
%[CPOW]
%cpBegin
%PDFfileName=#!JdeNameVersion_REQUIRED!#
%cpEnd
%[EndCPOW]
- The Bind instruction should have file type set to PDF, and outputting to a Queue that's setup in Cform Server 3.x
- Output Format in the print queue in Cform Server 3.x should be Postscript
- You should upgrade Cform Server 6.1 to 6.4 and Cform Server 3.x to 3.2 (if not already on 3.2)
- Director projects and / or form projects do not require upgrading
- Sort & Bind should also be 6.x
- Sort & Bind 3.x has functioned inconsistently with earlier versions of 6.x, newer versions are far more stable.

Mark

Mark thanks very much for your help. I have tried to implement your suggestion with no luck.
Here is the exact detail of my Director Project.

1) Split Node (split by customer AN8)
2) Condition Node (Flag on statement email Y/N)
3) If Y-email then Merge Statement, send email and copy to network folder. (Works fine)
4) IF N - no email then send split pdf to network folder for Bind. (This send node I am using the standard JTT template CPrint_JDE which has the parameters you indicated.

At this point I can manually merge these files from step 4. So I know the JDE tagging is good. The bind process seems to just grab the last document in the folder and bind nothing else.

I also was wondering if I could just merge the pdf's in step 4 and have the bind process create one pdf to print. This way I don't need to send it to a queue for merging since I have the option to merge it the first time.

Anyway not sure what I am doing wrong here. Your help is appreciated.

thanks,
Doug

Attachments

• 159829-Director Project Screen Shot.doc
    75 KB · Views: 109
Before I get into details:

Did you upgrade Cform Server 6.1 to 6.4?

Its not the director project that's failing, its the engine.

Mark

ok, I couldn't resist, buckle up, here we go:

Attached is a zip file which contains a director project setup the same you described.
Also in the zip file is a bind instruction to pick up the files.
(Bind instruction file is located in C:\Program Files\Create!form\Win32Bin\Bind\script so you'll want to backup yours if you want to use mine)

I'm running 6.4 and it works like it should, no problems at all.
And yes, you can output the file to a directory but it is a PDF file strictly for Cform Server 3.2.
You can run it through Cform Server 3.2 at your convenience and it will merge all files with the form project & will print correctly.
One other trick that might help: You can set the printer to print to file, this will produce a Postscript file.
If you have Adobe Distiller, change the extension to .ps, then open it and distiller will produce one PDF file with all the files merged with the form project.
Regardless, the file from Bind must run through the Cform Server 3.2 engine.

Mark

Attachments

• 159871-Bind.zip
    47.1 KB · Views: 111
I believe you are correct Mark regarding the engine failing. Below is the server queue log when I try to bind the pdfs.

06/24/10 11:47:51,00000001,0147,MergeEngine(AGCVR1) ,File 'C:\DOCUME~1\cform\LOCALS~1\Temp\CfOWMergeTemp\R5503B5001__2010062495114751983045200.pdf' is neither an XML or a PDF document
06/24/10 11:47:51,00000000,0010,CBind,Merge engine failed
06/24/10 11:47:51,00000000,0020,CBind,Job '' failed (id 0) 5;0;18;1;
06/24/10 11:47:51,00000000,0001,CBind,Failed to load module Error in 3.1 Merge Engine 22;25;

Bingo.

I see your running Cform Server 3.1

You can upgrade Cform Server 6.1 to 6.4 very easily
You can also upgrade Cform Server 3.1 to 3.2 as easily.
The engines are backwards compatible, don't even need to upgrade director projects or form projects (but its best).

Need the upgrade files? Let me know.

Mark

I installed our current version of Create!forms and I noticed that both Server 3.1 and 6.1 are installed. All through I have all the printers setup in 6.1. Stranged that the merge engine is still 3.1. attached is what I have install.

Anyway, if you can get me the upgarde files for 6.4 that would be great. email me at [email protected].

Attachments

• 159875-CreateFormInstall.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 98
Back