Effort saved thru Boomerang

saurav-ocean

We are upgrading from EnterPriseOne 8.9 to 9.0.1. Custom objects need to be retrofitted. So what should be the percentage effort required compared to original development effort. For ex:. If an object is created in 100 Manhours during original development in 8.9, what should be the manhours for retrofitting using Boomerang. I am sure it will not be possible to say exact, but let me know a rough estimated figure.

Unless some of the users may wish to pick it up, I'll offer a generic answer:

Boomerang has small effect on the retrofitting efforts: it may in some instances simply allow object migration where JDE would not. But that's pretty much the extent of it, because Boomerang is an object copy tool, not really a retrofitting tool.

It can save a lot of time bringing your custom objects across, especially in cases when JDE would refuse or forget to copy some objects, or if new objects have been created in the old system after the upgrade has already started. Or when the objects were left out of the upgrade by any other mistake.

So some common upgrade applications of Boomerang (because there are also many uses beyond upgrades) basically are:
- Using it instead of the standard upgrade to bring your custom code across faster and easier;
- Enable parallel development during the upgrade;
- Allow object copy in some instances when JDE would not upgrade;
- Copy objects better than the standard JDE upgrade in some instances. One example is any translated objects, where JDE sometimes fails to copy the translated specs.

Another common use is to backup selected objects for any reason - before and during retrofitting and development.

And of course another one is to copy the objects to other systems entirely: lab or standalone installs (i.e.: for work at home or to take the code with you if you are a consultant and actually own the copyright), remote systems (i.e.: for remote development), another company (i.e.: sharing your code with a related company or for software distribution), etc...

Back