Problem with JDE all of a sudden not recognizing user's local printer.

bigwebb83

Problem with JDE all of a sudden not recognizing user\'s local printer.

We are running JD Edwards on a citrix server. Typically we don't support local printers but we have a lady at one of our offices that has been running a local printer for years. All of a sudden this morning when she created a pdf report and went to print there were no printers recognized other than the microsoft xps printer. When we check her printers in the control panel she has several including the local printer installed (local as default) but no printer is being recognized by edwards. Any idea what could've caused this?

Re: Problem with JDE all of a sudden not recognizing user\'s local printer.

This doesn't really sound like a JDE problem. Since she is already viewing the PDF when she tries to print, it looks more like Acrobat is not seeing any printers beyond the Microsoft XPS which is installed with Office.

This points more towards the Citrix session not mapping her printers when she connects. You should look at how the Citrix server is set to map printers, whether or not the proper drivers are still installed, and the connection settings on her ICA client.

If you try to connect to a Citrix desktop session, can you see your printers being mapped in the list of printers?

its weird, sometimes the users will be able to see the printers with no problem and then all of a sudden they will just go away. And then maybe a week or two or even a month or two later they will just come back.

Try this web site (link). It deals with lots of Citrix issues, though the link takes you right to the printing area.

Look especially for the Citrix Printing Tool, and Print Detective.

it should also be noted that often when adobe is not recognizing the printer and the user uses the print button within edwards it will work fine...

That's because the Print icon from the Row Exit is not using Citrix at all, but going through the printer as configured on the Enterprise Server.

If your printers are "suddenly missing" to your users, they didn't get mapped at Citrix logon. Unfortunately, there are multiple possible reasons as to why that happened. It could be failed group policy, failed Citrix policy, printer driver issue, etc...

We use Citrix servers for all of our users. We have implemented three things that have almost completely removed all of our Printing issues:

1) We only use HP Printers, and only ones that work with the HP Universal Print Driver. This allows us to only have one single print driver on each Citrix server, and you don't end up with printer driver conflicts.

2) We use the Citrix Client Printer Management to map printers based on Active Directory Groups. Since we have clients at multiple physical locations, each user only has the printers in their location mapped at Citrix Logon. (All printers are shared from one Print Server)

3) We have added the program SetDefaultPrinter.exe from thirdring.net to a Technical Menu for our users. This allows them to set their WINDOWS default printer for the Citrix Session from inside OneWorld.

If all of your users map back to a local printer, you are probably hitting printer driver issues. Did you install a new printer recently before it started happening?

Hope that is of some help,

John

sorry for the delayed response. these are network printers. And it is so random that it baffles me. Sometimes they work and sometimes they just disappear. No new printers installed. We use a variety of printers but most are either xerox (majority), lexmark, or hp.

I just did some looking. One of the users who has been using a network printer with no problem called and said she all of a sudden couldn't see the printer in the list in adobe. So I logged into the citrix server, clicked on printers and faxes and scrolled through the list and checked the driver on this particular printer. There was a server 2003 driver as well as an xp driver installed. The server is running 2003 and the users machine is running xp pro so i don't think its a driver mismatch. After I clicked on the print driver properties, the printer came up in the printers and faxes window on the citrix server. I printed a test page from the server and it appeared to print fine. Then I went back and had the user try to print and hers printed as well. One other thing to mention is that when I logged into the citrix server it gave me an error message about 10 times saying that one world encountered a problem and needed to close. Eventually after clicking ok enough times it stopped giving this error message and thats when everything seemed to come together. Any ideas?

after a little more experimentation on my own machine here's what is happening. When I log onto JDE and try to print screen or print through adobe i don't see any printers. If I look in the citrix connection center and see what server i'm on and then log onto that server via the remote desktop connection my printers miraculously show up. As soon as I disconnect the remote desktop session the printers are gone again. Any ideas?

Needed to know where the SetDefualt Printer.exe needs to be installed.
on the citrix windows terminal server or locally on the user machine to print reports with in JDE.
Currently we cannot print a jde report from a custom application that has row exit to print invoice print.
Was working and for some reason has stopped- i was told a bespokee solution was implemented to print.The implementors are no longer with us.only way we can print is to open the pdf invoice report and save it on a local drive and then select the printer.Enterprise server is unix/hp9000 with citrix farm window2000 server.
many thanks

Back