Design Assistants and ER Editor

peterbruce

peterbruce

Legendary Poster
JDEList,

I am curious, has anyone done any of the following or is it possible. I didn't want to "try and see" just in case it corrupted something I couldn't back up:

- open two or more UBEs in RDA at the same time
- open a UBE in RDA and an App in FDA at the same time
- open the ER editor in RDA and the ER editor in FDA at the same time

Our Config is:

E1 8.11sp1 and TR 8.97.2.1

Yes for UBE + APP at the same time.
Negative for UBE + UBE... unless you use a VM or Remote Connection and open it on a different client.

This is with 8.12. I remember doing that on Xe too. But never 2 UBEs at the same time.

Regards

Marcelo,

Thanks for your reply
smile.gif
. You covered the first two combinations along the lines of what I suspected
smirk.gif
. However I would like to know if the Event Rules can be edited in both an App and UBE at the same time?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
... However I would like to know if the Event Rules can be edited in both an App and UBE at the same time?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I´m working in 8.11 release and there´s no problem.

And, if you need view or edit the Event Rules for NER BSFN, just open 2 OMW´s and it´s works too.
cool.gif

Hi, Peter

That's a yes for the 3rd option too. You can edit APP and UBE at the same time.
My understanding is that FDA and RDA are two separate programs with separate spec files for each. You can't open two of the same type, but you can work normally with one of each on the same user session.

In fact you "can" work with BSVWs, table edit and Business Functions all at the same time... though then is when the problems with non-updated specs start to happen. If you change a BSVW, for example, you have to close the UBE usig it and open it again to update the information, etc...
And performance, of course.

My experience on this is with Xe, 8.11 and E812, in Windows XP + Oracle.

Regards,

Hi Peter,

If my memory serves, I have read somewhere, that opening and using 2 ER Editor (APPL, UBE, BSFN, TBLE Trigger) can cause severe spec corruption, so I always avoid to do this and see, what happened.
I suppose the case is that they use the same local spec file (gbrlink, gbrspec).

Regards,

Zoltán

Ok, Zoltán... now you got ME worried. :)

I've been openning UBE, BSFN and APP ER Editors at the same time for years. I even copy ER portions from one to another (BSFN calls, big ugly nested IF statements, comments, etc)... and never got any corrupted specs.
I was considering rdaspec and fdaspec for this, but you've got a point on the gbrspec/link files.

Maybe I'm just lucky... and maybe now that this is out in the open, Murphy will set his evil gaze on me. :)

Any clue on what or where is that info you read about this?

Regards,

Hi Marcelo,

[ QUOTE ]
Any clue on what or where is that info you read about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not remember and I am not sure atl, that I had read it or heard it, but if I had read it, then I suppose it was on JDEList.

Maybe this issue can be Release and/or SP/TS levele dependent.

Sorry, that's all.

Regards,

Zoltán

Thankyou All for your repsonses. My main concern was the use of the same program to edit ER and if opening a second ER editor would cause problems with the first.

As far as the GBRspec/link files are concerned, multiple specs are read all the time when running applications and UBS etc. Any problem then would occur when saving changed specs. I don't know if the system puts a lock on the file when updating them, if it does then it would probably be OK.

I have had occaisions, though rare, where the gbrspec/link files have become corrupted. Invariably the cause was that a write/update of the files was interrupted (loss of betwork, client power failure, etc).

The reason for my question was something similar to what Marcelo has done:

[ QUOTE ]
I even copy ER portions from one to another (BSFN calls, big ugly nested IF statements, comments, etc)... and never got any corrupted specs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The conclusion I have reached at this point, from considering the repsonses to this post, is that it would be OK to edit the ER for different types of objects at the same time. I am always open to further consideration. I would also be very careful so that I would not be updating more than one at a time.

Back