Half - Life of JDE

RE: RE: Half - Life of JDE

I prefer the term "tongue in cheek" to "sarcastic", Jon.

Re: RE: RE: RE: Half - Life of JDE

Just a quote from somewhere: "AMD has scheduled a 16-core chip code-named Interlagos for release in 2011"

We will surely have 32-core desktop CPU's in 2019!

I can't wait to install EO 12.0 (hopefully coming out in 2019 too) on one of those ;-)

Re: RE: RE: RE: Half - Life of JDE

[ QUOTE ]
Just a quote from somewhere: "AMD has scheduled a 16-core chip code-named Interlagos for release in 2011"

We will surely have 32-core desktop CPU's in 2019!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That happened a lot faster than I expected. In fact, the press release was actually a day before I posted my JDEList article (though I hadn't even heard of it !). I might have to revise my estimate to state that 32 core or 64 core processors would be desktop standards ! But, knowing how fast AMD takes to get a product to market AND the fact that they're only "scheduling" a 16 core chip in 2011, means it won't actually be a standard until at least 5 years later - 2016, which is close to 2019 !

As for whether Apple will survive ? Of course they will. They just released snow-leopard last Friday - the biggest changes are the 64bit multi-core multi-threading support (wow) and the fact that you can natively connect to Microsoft Exchange 2007 servers - in effect, a real Outlook competitor is now "bundled" with the Macs for free. Oh yeah, and the cost ? $29. I don't know of a single Microsoft upgrade costing under $100 since about Windows '95 !

Re: RE: RE: Half - Life of JDE

Jon,

Came across this old thread while doing a search for ECO today. It looks like you're almost 4 years in, and all is still looking good for JDE. Who's holding the money ;-)?

Don

Back