"Associate Description" feature for custom Data Item

jefrey

jefrey

\"Associate Description\" feature for custom Data Item

Hi Listers!

Scenario:
I have created a custom Data Item (Y55REBNK) which I use as a Field/Column to a Custom Table (F55001). I also have created a Search and Select Form and and set this form as Visual Assist for the Data Item. Search Form is set at the Data Item itself and not at the form level or as override.

Sample Data (F55001):
Y55REBNK == DC
001 == Shirts
002 == Pants
003 == Shoes

Problem:
Is it possible to use the "Associate Description" feature in FDA for the custom Data Item? It seems that the description (DC) does not appear on the Form whenever I use the custom data item Y55REBNK. Did I miss something?

Hoping for your immediate response.

Thanks,

Re: \"Associate Description\" feature for custom Data Item

Hi Jefrey,

the associate descriptions are setup in the data dictionary in the edit rules. I think you can only use it automatically if you use a UDC value (that is the easiest way) or via a business function.

regards,
Walter.

Hi Jefrey and Walter

In RDA you can associate descriptions for non-udc items, for example address number. Take a look at the edit rules for AN8 in the data dictionary to see how it is setup. I think there might be a business function that does validation, something like iscolumnin...

Brad

Hi Brad,

That's what I meant with my remark that you must do the setup in the data dictionary via the edit rules. You can make a business function or use the UDC-functionality.

regards,
Walter.

Hi Brad and Walter,

Thank you for your inputs. But my other problem is I still donn't know how to create a business function. But thanks anyways...

Hi Jefrey,

[ QUOTE ]
But my other problem is I still donn't know how to create a business function.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you mean this?
A.) You don't know at all how to create business function in general?
B.) You don't know how to create this edit rule type business function?

If your answer is B, then check the business functions with Funtion Name "IsColumn*" and their Data Structures.
NOTE: Search for FUNCTION NAME, not for OBJECT NAME.

Compare some DSTR, you will be see, what is common and what is different for different DD items.

Hopefuly you wil find NER BSFN too, so you can examin it, how simple is it.

Let us know, your answer. Thanks.

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Zoltan,

It's nice to hear from you again!

To tell you honestly, my answer is "A". I have not tried to make/create a business function for the reason that : 1. I don't know where to start or don't know what to do, 2. I don't know C language only VB. That's why as much as possible I'll stay away from making business functions. But I think I should start learning to make one...

Thank you for the info.

P.S. Do you have some helpful reading materials that I can start to read with... I know this is much to ask.
smile.gif

Hi Jefrey,

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know C language only VB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Writing BSFN does not require by necessity C programing, you can Write NER (Named Event Rules) BSFNs too. It is the same "programing language", what you can use in APPL/UBE.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have some helpful reading materials that I can start to read with...

[/ QUOTE ]

Find the Tools Guide, which match to your release on
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Documentation
download it and read it
cool.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

The edit rules in DD are used for editing only. there must be a BSFN assigned under Visual Assist in DD to be called on on pressing VA. For example, Select User Defined codes for UDC's,Address Book Master Search for AN8, etc.

Jacob

The edit rule serves 2 purposes. One is to validate the data for the DD Item. Two is to return a description. The associate description is populated via the description returned from the edit rule.

Thank you all for the overwhelming replies!

[ QUOTE ]
If you need help creating an edit rule for a DD item see this article: http://jde.mywwsoft.com/index_files/betterdditems.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sir Scott,

I find your site to be so helpful. It contains many tips and tricks but the problem is it requires a login and password to view the entire document. Can I have a login and password?..

thanks,

I finally got it working... thank you for all your help. Sir Scott's website has been a big help to me.
grin.gif

Hi Sir Scott!

I have been wondering if the technique you suggested regarding edit rule of a data dictionary also works on working with two key fields as a search fields when performing a Fetch Single?
The table used for validation has two primary fields and these two fields are unique values (just like DCT and DOC fields which should come together).

Hoping for your response...

Hi Jeffery!

I hope I understood your question. You can create a business function to validate a pair of values like you suggest, verifying that the pair of values are valid. You can implement this function in ER in a form if you want.

However, you cannot create an edit rule for a DD item that validates 2 values. The BSFN attached as an edit rule only has one input value. The input value is only for the field to which it is attached and does not have knowledge of other fields.

Does this help?

Scott,

If the second value was stored in the database in a custom table or in a UDC, could the edit rule bsfn be programmed to get that value and use it conjunction with the input value to do what Jefrey mentions - that is if storing the second value is practical.

What I'm asking/suggesting is something similar to what I asked/suggested in this post.

I believe it would be possible, but have never attempted it. I would like to know if anyone has attempted it and what their results were.

Peter,

I am going to say no. Others may see it differently and can chime in.

The custom business functions that you create for edit rules can do just about anything you want. However, they are limited by the parameters that can be passed in and returned. In order to tie the current value that is being validated to a second value in a custom table or UDC you would need a session ID, unique value, or something. Since you can't pass any additional info back and forth it makes this impossible.

If you want to do this type of validation you won't be able to use an edit rule. You will need to do it at the application or UBE level or in another business function.

Hi Sir Scott,

You got my question correctly. I am sad to know that it doesn't support 2 fields to validate. I asked this question because I tried using two fields to validate and it did not work so I just wondered if I skipped something.

Thanks again for the info...

Scott,

Sorry for my late reply, I've been busy.

What about the runtime (SV and SL) values? Are any of them available and populated (and useful) for a business function used in this way?

--001636416c1f3f0594047d27c4c9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Peter I am sure that Scott will respond similar, in that it is usually not a
good idea...

(db) Daniel Bohner

Scott,

Sorry for my late reply, I've been busy.

What about the runtime (SV and SL) values? Are any of them available and
populated (and useful) for a business function used in this way?

Thanks, Peter Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, E8.11sp1 8.97.2.1, ES Sun,
Oracle DB 9207, Websphere 6 Win2K3. Forms: Create!form Server 3/Server 6

Back